Custom Battery Cable Setup

Ferd_Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Over the past 2 years of owning my truck I've been battling with the POs wiring mess in my truck. With the sound system and lights I wanted to make sure my Starting system and charging system was good. Even better than stock. Seeing as I live in Wisconsin prepare for the sub zero temperatures.
I started with putting in 2 Farm n Fleet commercial batterys. 980 CCA per battery. With these batterys being alot bigger and taller and I didn't want to short battery on hood. I went with a Memphis audio battery terminals with 2 0 gauge outputs on each postive battery. Some ****** 0 gauge amazon audio power cable connecting batterys. Same amazon wire going to a new High Tork DB Electrical starter.

These past couple of weeks we had some below 0° F with windchills -20 to -30 and I was not impressed with the cranking/ battery power it had. I know those Temps are low but with all of this done it should crank better in the cold.

So I'm thinking of getting 2/0 cable or bigger. Done some reading and that's what it seems like works well and doesn't melt. Anyone know where I could find some locally. And any tips on my battery cable setup also welcome. I'll post pictures up tommorow in the light

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Search tech 101 custom battery cables..

3/0 is factory from pass battery to starter so I just did 3/0 for my pass to drivers as well.

Good luck

A48WillyzGuy

Reaction score
1/0 Really isn't big enough to run the starter. Factory is 2/0 grounds, 2/0 battery link cable, 3/0 lead for the starter hot, and 1/0 lead for the solenoid on the fender.

Locally, you should be able to get welding cable from any welding supply shop that you can cut to length and attach some ends to hook up to your batteries. I'd suggest staying with copper cables as well. The aluminum just ones don't carry higher currents well.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
NAPA sells big battery cable by the foot. That's where I got my 2/0 and 3/0. Not all stores stock it but they can point you to one that does.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also lots of places sell replacement cables for around $100. I put a motor craft in mine. I've had zero issues with it.

Looks like rock auto has Standard products. Both ground cables and a new positive cable would be around $120.

MTKirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Over the past 2 years of owning my truck I've been battling with the POs wiring mess in my truck. With the sound system and lights I wanted to make sure my Starting system and charging system was good. Even better than stock. Seeing as I live in Wisconsin prepare for the sub zero temperatures.
I started with putting in 2 Farm n Fleet commercial batterys. 980 CCA per battery. With these batterys being alot bigger and taller and I didn't want to short battery on hood. I went with a Memphis audio battery terminals with 2 0 gauge outputs on each postive battery. Some ****** 0 gauge amazon audio power cable connecting batterys. Same amazon wire going to a new High Tork DB Electrical starter.

These past couple of weeks we had some below 0° F with windchills -20 to -30 and I was not impressed with the cranking/ battery power it had. I know those Temps are low but with all of this done it should crank better in the cold.

So I'm thinking of getting 2/0 cable or bigger. Done some reading and that's what it seems like works well and doesn't melt. Anyone know where I could find some locally. And any tips on my battery cable setup also welcome. I'll post pictures up tommorow in the light

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Get great battery cables by all means. But if it's cranking fine when it's warm and slow when cold, what will really help you is a battery blanket (I use this one http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d....oap?ck=Search_N0651_-1_-1&pt=N0651&ppt=C0076). Your CCA's drop off to half or less when it's sub-zero. Plugging in a 1500 watt block heater helps tremendously as well.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm using 2/0 throughout on mine and so far, they seem to do great. I was trying to bleed the fuel system the other day and was cranking off and on for 20 minutes and none of the cables even got warm to the touch. Thats with 2 group 31s, 2/0 power feeds and grounds with heavy copper terminals crimped and soldered. I used 2/0 welding cable.

In short runs (0-50'), 2/0 can handle 500 amps continuous.

Something I noticed is you said you ran the audio cable on the positive side... did you upsize the grounds? You NEED to if you didnt as undersized/bad grounds will cause more issues then undersized positive cables.

Last edited:

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@IDIoit
That wire from ebay is not large enough. It's OK for gassers, but not diesel, Even the one for the Van, although they don't say what the gauge is.

Wire size for a diesel battery system should be no less than 2/0 AWG copper.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@IDIoit
That wire from ebay is not large enough. It's OK for gassers, but not diesel, Even the one for the Van, although they don't say what the gauge is.

Wire size for a diesel battery system should be no less than 2/0 AWG copper.

it was the first one I saw, my apologies.
just tryin to help!

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any one needing Ring terminals. I've got about 75 lbs of them, all different wire gauge sizes up to 4/0 AWG. Each .50 + postage, postage varies on amount and size. Also specify bolt size. PM me.

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Any one needing Ring terminals. I've got about 75 lbs of them, all different wire gauge sizes up to 4/0 AWG. Each .50 + postage, postage varies on amount and size. Also specify bolt size. PM me.
I'll keep this in mind. In case I do group 31s.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726