cummins upgraded in tank pump ??

motox tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Read on other sites that a quick test to check the lift pump on my 03 cummins is to drain the fuel bowl, put a 2 litre bottle on the drain hose and bump the starter. supposedly there should be about 1 litre of diesel after the pump runs for 20 sec. or so. My question is that, My pump is not on the frame but upgraded to the in tank version. I cant seem to find out if this test is valid on this type of pump, or if the pump is supposed to make some kind of noise? I did this test tonight and I dont get any fuel to the filter at all. I imagine this is not a good thing, but cant find many threads on the upgraded filter. any help appreciated.

fastass350

SStock8569
Reaction score
Have you had any luck finding an answer? Mine has the upgraded in tank pump (it's an 04) and I believe you hear it when you turn the key on. I'd check but my folks have it right now and probably won't be back for a few days. When they do I can check, if you need.

Chris

motox tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no, cant seem to find any info. Called previous owner and he had never really listened. Im gonna try undoing the line at rail and bumping key, but being elec. you would think the pump would make some noise and fill the filter housing in a hurry. I would definately appreciate you puttin an ear to it when you get a chance, (no hurry) my primary driver is my IDI and the cummins is my project right now.

fastass350

SStock8569
Reaction score
Had any luck yet? I finally got mine back, and I can't notice any noise from the pump. The only thing I hear, which I heard when it had the factory pump on the filter housing, was a little bit of a ticking sound, when the key is turned just to the on position.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Staff online