Cummins conversion parts list?

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I priced everything from Autoworldmt to convert the Superduty about a month ago and the cost was $3884 not including the engine
  • Trans adaptor $695
  • Flexplate $545
  • 6.0 PSD starter $135
  • Engine mounts $295
  • Ford mounting plates $45
  • AC & Alt brackets $250
  • dual pullies $150
  • belts $50
  • intercooler hose kit $260
  • Tach kit $225
  • down pipe $250
  • PSC trans controller $700
  • Transmission wiring harness $150
  • TPS kit $99
  • PCS TCU programming kit $35
Didn't even price other things needed like the gasser throttle pedal and cruise control and figured by the time I spent $4000 - $5000 on a good low mileage engine and other things I might as well spend $8 - $10k and buy a used 2000 - 2001 F-650 with a CAT 3126 (because I really don't care for Cummins engines and yes I've owned them) and Allison 5 speed OD. Then swap my crew cab and bed onto it and have the tranny reprogrammed to be a six speed (if possible).

Then I could sell off the remaining items like the F350 front clip, chassis, PSD and 4R100 tranny and F650 cab to offset at least 1/3rd to 1/2 of the cost of the conversion and get a few things like aluminum wheels, re rate the Kitty to 300hp/860tq, aluminum fuel tanks and possibly re gear the rear axle if needed.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Man, you got that all sorted out huh....:hail .....But it still doesn't matter, Cummins or CAT......"C" still doesn't stand for cheap in that case.:D....My father-inlaw has been selling CAT parts at our local CAT dealership for 13yrs....Even at his cost some things are scary in price....There is a perk to him working there though....The bolt bin in "our" (inlaws built a new house with us last year) garage is stocked with CAT bolts/nuts (top notch fasteners) and I have more CAT clothes/boots than I can shake a stick at.;Sweet

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been activly researching this swap for a few months because with 336k on the PSD somethings gonna eventually give and I need to be able to make a decision on what route I really want to take and be in the financial position to not "have to" get a new $58,000 truck with PAYMENTS:eek: :puke:

Over the years I was trucking I owned 4 trucks and had a 300 Mack, 400 3406BCat, 350 60 series Detroit and a 465 N14 Cummins.

The Mack was never in the shop for an engine repair, not once.

The Cat was in 1 time for a fuel transfer pump and to turn it up to put 400hp on the ground on a dyno at 100 mph, never had any problems with it and I ran that engine hard.

The Detroit was a gutless, oil leaking POS that was always in the shop for something (10k in repairs over the course of 1 year I had it before trading it).

The Cummins was in my 1st brand spanking new class 8 truck and was in the shop 4 or 5 times the first year.

I've driven several company trucks too with Cat and Cummins engines and was never impressed with the Cummins whether it was a flying 290, NTC 400 or N14. the 3406B and ATTAC engines really impressed me.

CAT ain't cheap to repair but the savings was in less downtime and time is money.

Disclaimer...That's my story and I'm sticking to itLOL

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I hear ya, they are a good engine but pricey to overhaul....We see lots of Detroit's with 1,300,000km on them before a rebuild....Usually still running good but low on oil pressure and too much blow-by....336K on the PSD...Peanuts my friend.....Especially if it's been well looked after.....Me - I would rebuild it when it goes puke, slap in a new BD or ATS tranny and run it for another 400K or so.....But that's just me - I'm cheap....And I'm one of those few IH believer's who would trade his 96 F150 (214K) for a 91 F250 with 408,000KM on it....I'm so used to seeing high mileage diesels the 408K didn't phase me at all....Now my wife - that's another story....:eek: cookoo :backoff

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IT AIN'T NEAR ALL AS BAD AS THAT

I am gonna stick my nose in this conversation.

I bought a 68,000 mile Cummins and 5-speed, complete with everything between, for less dollars than I had shopped around and found a rebuild kit for the old International.

I drove the International, hauling heavy loads, right up to the day that I pulled it inside and pulled the engine.

Everyone wants to make this a big dramatic CONVERSION, when all it is is a simple engine swap.

Honestly, the Cummins slid down in there, much easier than the old International came out.

I had much rather do another International to Cummins swap, than to just swap an International for another International.

The only thing Dodge about the engine is the clutch slave and the u-joint behind the transmission.

The engine is all Cummins and the transmission is Getrag.

The wiring, every last bit of it, is Ford all the way, except for some of the not-up-to-the-job Ford crap that I have re-done with bigger/better.

The Cummins required maybe three wires to start and run; whereas, I removed a wheelbarrow load of wires off the old International.

The dash gauges are so simple a child could accomplish it.

I kept the Ford alternator by making a simple bracket and swapping the V-belt pulley for an 8-rib serpentine.

I didn't even drain the A/C system; I simply laid it all over to the side, swapped engines, made a simple bracket, and re-installed it, without losing a drop of gas.

I used to dread anything I had to do to the old International, as parts were outrageous expensive and everything was so impossible to get at and work on, so all jammed in between the fenders.

The Cummins, on the other hand, is simplicity in itself, with everything easily accessible and abundant sources of parts that are like buying for an old small-block Chevy.

Everything about the Cummins is right in front of your eyes and easy to get at.

I instantly doubled my fuel mileage and probably tripled the power.

I am not knocking the old International; as, it stood up there and made my living for half-a-million miles, always bringing me, truck, and trailer back home.

The few times it did have to be log-chained out of the road were failures of that stupid electric tank-selector valve.

I throwed that mess in the holler, after about four went bad, and installed a manual valve.

The best advice that I can offer to anyone contemplating swapping in a Cummins is BUY THE ENGINE MOUNTS FROM RANDY AT RELIABLE DIESEL, as they will fit and work right the first time; and, slide that Cummins down in there and start hooking things back up.

You will have to make a few simple brackets and figure out a couple radiator hoses = no big deal.;Sweet

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well MNR, you are obviously a very mechanically inclined guy... I really like my IH 6.9 but love the Cummins as well, and you are right about how the 5.9 has a lot more room to be serviced in the engine bay than the 6.9/7.3 at least in a Dodge application. I was duly impressed with how simple they are. I don't know, everyone knows the Cummins are cool and last forever, I kind of like to be a little different and try to keep a 6.9 alive a long time and see what I can get out of it. I have always wondered where the exorbitant cost of the conversion comes from, assuming you have a complete donor vehicle and aren't buying NOS parts from Dodge or Cummins. Also has anyone figured out a way to hook up a Cummins to a C6 or ZF5? It seems the trannys especially the autos were not up to the torque of the 6bt in the Dodge application...while the E4OD can't even handle the IH motor, I would bet a T19, C6 or ZF 5 would be a good choice if an acceptable adapter plate could be had.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gasser tranny Ford & chevy adaptors can be from the 4B used in many bread trucks, not hard to find and see them on ebay often.

Just about anything else can be had HERE

Sure the conversion can be done on the cheap using the Dodge trannies especially manuals if you have the complete doner truck, which getting a complete doner vehicle IMHO is the only way to economicly do the swap. You could also use the Dodge AC, PS and Alt and just have hoses made and adapt the alt wiring.

For somebody like me that has bad arthritis the manual tranny option goes right out the window and I personally wouldn't use a Dodge tranny of any flavor, especially an automatic which is where it gets expensive.

Where you get your big savings with a complete doner will be selling off all of your leftover parts, some have even come out ahead of the game when done. Ya just have to be able to lay out the cash first to get started and have enough to complete it. I think the swap could easily be completed in 2 weeks if you have everything lined up, cash for the inevitable unknown surprises, decent mechanical skills and stuck with the project daily to completion.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I still don't see why some people are so in love with the 5.9.....I know they havew the potential to make big power and that's likely why....I work on them almost everyday and in a commercial vehicle they are nothing special - gutless and don't stand up very well. VP44 pumps crapping out all the time, lift pumps crapping out time, head gaskets and etc....The Early mechanical's are ok but still very underpowered so you have to mod them just to make them decent for the road....

You might see the ODD one with a million miles on it in a dodge truck but your lucky to see them with 250,000 miles on them in a commercial truck....Usually toast by that point....Now the IDI stands up pretty well in a commercial truck - underpowered too but they are pretty tough like their big brother the 466....I guess I'm used to working on the newer electronic 5.9's with all their expensive parts.....I just shake my head when I see the price tag on a recon VP44 pump.cookoo The new 6.7ISB is a pretty stout little engine but with a water cooled, electronic turbo there's still potential for big money to be spent in a parts failure.:dunno Personally if the aftermarket made the HP parts for a 466 I'd put one of those in my truck - dirt cheap to rebuild and pretty near bullet proof....I had an 84 IH in yesterday. The truck was rotten but the engine just purrrrrred....

I know of a tow truck fleet here with a bunch IDI's and PSD's.....ALL over 600,000km and the engines are original.....Hard use but looked after too and that is the key. I'll bet my IDI will still be running when the rest of my F250 has rusted out around it.

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think Hypermax talks about it much on their web site, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were a big vendor of 466 upgrades. Super Stock tractor pullers have been building up impressive DT466's for years, that run just as good as the John Deere's and other brands and that industry/hobby or whatever it is has a wealth of sources. It's just a matter of getting inside that click and finding out where they are. If I were inclined to swap to a 6 cylinder, that is the direction I would go as well. There's no replacement for displacement. :D

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I've never talked to anyone who has owned a 466 that didn't like it....Not the most powerful engine but so friggin reliable and cheap to overhaul.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have always heard that the IH I6s the Dt 360/466/530 and HT570 will just not physically fit like the Cummins or IDI will without out EXTENSIVE modification of the engine compartement, such as a remote radiator or in cab doghouse. I'm a big fan of the 466.... I will own one someday maybe, but probably not in an F350 or 250

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online