Cummins conversion parts list?

troupp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really, is there such a list? Not that I dislike the IDI, but I have much more faith in running a motor that's intended for a turbo, than one that's had a turbo put on it. I've thought about it for quite a while, since I have access to a pipe bender, but I just don't want to do all the work of mounting and plumbing 2 t-bird turbos that I have here already(the bulk of a turbo upgrade cost) just to have it spit it's guts out all over itself. So, what i'm looking for is someone that's done the el-cheapo conversion(read junkyard sourced) and a semi-to mostly complete list of what's invovled. Any takers? thanks for any support anyone can give. And for those of you that are conversion critics, convince me to go through with the twin parallel turbos and we'll see. Thanks

SKimballC

Reaction score
Um, you may not get much positive response here, so you should go check out www.cummins-conversion.com. There's many former IDI guys over there with the info you're seeking. As far as 'el cheapo' goes, you'll still be in it for at least several grand unless you can get a whole donor truck super duper freakin' cheap. I also recommend you look up www.destroked.com and www.autoworldmt.com and call them up. They're nice guys (and a gal) who will answer all your questions and may be able to cook up a parts list for your truck.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Nothin' cheap about anything with a big "C" on it.....We work on the ISB's and ISC's at work all the time.....Friggin scary what simple parts go for on a Cummins....I'll stick with my IDI, dirt cheap to fix and tough as hell.

rubberfish

Reaction score
Parts list is easy.
Got a piece of paper?
Write this down.
$7,000-$10,000 Give or take.
There ya go. Done. :D
That about sums it up.

I'm not a critic.
I'm a victim.

troupp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, maybe I should have clarified that I know where two trucks sit. One can be had complete, drive it home for 1500, the other is a parts picker special, the guys always sells everything cheap(he never knows what anything is worth, and I can't bring myself to corrrect him.)

Rubberfish--I take it you don't like the results of your conversion---"victim"

rubberfish

Reaction score
Rubberfish--I take it you don't like the results of your conversion---"victim"
No Man, I love it. Some days more than I
love my wife. Well that's not true. But the
truck rarely complains when I drive her hard. :love:

I just see some people thinking that for
a few hundred dollars they'll have some
pavement shredding monster just because
they have a donor Dodge. Even if you don't
count your own time there's still a huge
list of **** to get, clutch, exhaust, etc, then
you'll want to turn up that 160hp POS
right away because a stock Cummins is
a little on the slow side. It all adds up to $1000's

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you can buy a whole running IDI engine for the price of a Cummins injection pump. With a warranty! LOL

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Yes, once You start doing upgrades to get the hp out of the C it does cost money but there is still many things You can do for free and I don't entirely agree that is cost 7k or more, You can always buy the engine and transmission for about 2k then You need mounts to adapt it but the rest You can fabricate it easily. It also cost money to buy a turbo for this engines and the IP does not cost that much to rebuild and it still last more then the ones on the IDI's You can also buy it with the money You save on fuel or buy upgrades with the money You save on time. I don't mean to say the IDI is better or worse they are different. I have considered a swap for some time but I'm still not fully convinced it is the best choice, I guess if I where to tow heavy all the time (I tow 18k cw most the time) over 20k then the C would be sweet but the IDI can still do it You just have to look straight forward and ignore the ones passing if it ever bothers You.

rubberfish

Reaction score
See what I mean?
I don't entirely agree that is cost 7k or more, You can always buy the engine and transmission for about 2k then You need mounts to adapt it but the rest You can fabricate it easily.
And ****,,,, it's all done. :rolleyes:

I'm not picking on you bud.
Just using you as an example. :cheers:

You guys that haven't done a conversion
can think what you want. Wait 'till you're done,
and see what your bank account looks like. LOL

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I followed the Cummins conversion over on Full Size Bronco when I was doing mine. I had my 6.9 dropped in, and the truck was done in under 2 months, working at a leisurely pace. This guy was still going a year or more by the time he got his Cummins done, and granted he did a heck of a nice job, but he owned a junk yard, and he still spent a chunk of change I bet.

SKimballC

Reaction score
Yeah, I obviously looked into pretty hard when I had the perfect truck to do a swap on, but... an engine and transmission for $2K is rare. Complete engine's with every part still on them are rare. Mileage is usually high. I did some math with what AutoWorld told me about conversion parts and the leads I had run down on donor trucks, and figured it would optimistically cost me $5K, which I knew could easily balloon upwards.
So I took most of that 5K and bought the truck I have and love now and forgot all about it.

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
lets see,you gotta figure out the wiring.Vaccumn system,AC compressor mount.Alternator bracketry,Motor mounts(they cost more than the entire fuel system on an IDI alone!),Figure out how to modify or build a new trans cross member,Oh yea,Gotta buy a Tach ring so your tach actually functions,figure out a way to hook up the grid heater on the dodge,New exaust sytem cause factory Ford ain't gonna hook up,New floor pan section(custom/Home made) so the shifter doesn't hit,and and about 6 months without your truck.Also,where in the heck are you gonna find a GOOD cummins AND tranny for under 3K?Note,I said GOOD.If it ain't useable as is it is gonna cost your a bloody fortune.injectors 3-400 for rebuilds,pump 500-1000 rebuilt,rebuild job...don't even wanna think how much....

rubberfish

Reaction score
No no. They just fall right in for a few grand. :rolleyes:
And run for years without ever having a problem. :rotflmao
A few of you have brought up some really good points. :hail

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online