Cummins Big Cam 400 - intermittently dies?

Copper

Reaction score
I've got a Big Cam I 855 in an old Freightliner that randomly dies like it's running out of fuel - usually when you're on a hard pull. When you spin the filter off, it's full, so you crank the snot out of it and it starts again. Then it might run fine for a week, or it might die in 5 minutes. It's got new fuel filters, new lines, new air cleaner, and all the top end has been apart and looks fine. I'm thinking it's the pump (not much else to look at), but could it be something simple, like the shutoff solenoid? Anybody run into one that's done this before?

maniac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a thumb screw on the pump to put it on "manual" this bypasses the solenoid, the truck will NOT shut off this way, you will have to stall it using the clutch.

But this would tell you if it is the solenoid or not.

It could also be the fuel lines, after so many years they start to fray inside and restrict the fuel flow, sometimes a new fuel line is all it takes.

timntools

Chief Runinscissors
Reaction score
i think he mentioned he put on new lines...

you aren't by chance running it low in the tanks? ran mine low once and it clogged the new filter in a heart beat and acted the same way. (old b.c. cummins 400)

VanBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you say "hard pull", you mean you're maxing out the throttle- working it hard? Or on a hill?

Does it gradually loose power and then die or just "die" like you turn it off?

A 'old' KW I have had similar symptoms. I kept loosing power gradually. Eventually, it was hard to start (had to floor the throttle) and it died while idling. Ended up being contamination in the fuel. I had slim (not sure if it was algae or other-slim) in the filter. But in your case, it is possible it's just clogging the inside of the filter (mine was hanging out of filter when I removed it.)

I don't recall if the how the solenoid works- as in 12V to keep it open to flow fuel (I'm guessing it's that way- no power, shuts off). If you gradually loose power, not just die, then it's prob. fuel related. If sudden like being shut off, solenoid.

Next time your truck dies, jump out and open up your fuel tanks. See if there is a vacuum or not in the fuel tank. Maybe the tank is not being vented correctly.... anything is possible.