Cruise control doesnt work..where should I start?

sweet66monza

Reaction score
My CC has never worked on my '93 since I bought it (6 yrs ago). Im doing more highway driving now and im really starting to want it. My dads 1990 factory service manuals and my Chilton manual doesnt mention anything about troubleshooting (at least that I could find). Where should I start, outside of taking it to someone or throwing away $$$ replacing parts until it starts working?

TIA!

DragRag

Reaction score
I found the ribbon tape in the steering column torn in mine. That makes the connection from the steering wheel to column, a lot are cracked, ripped or torn on these trucks. There getting older....

tuke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to replace the cable. the end had corrosion and the end that connect to the vaccum diaphrn fell off.

gandalf

Reaction score
I have a diagnostic procedure written up in MSWord, Its 30KB, 8 or 9 pages of big print, so I can't really post it here. I have no idea who wrote it, but it looks pretty good. It may be for older trucks than your '93, but the principles should be the same.

PM me an email address if you'd like a copy. I can send it as an email attachment very easily.

Trying my best

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is your clutch neutral safety switch bypassed? I.E. will the truck start without the clutch depressed? If so reconnect it, that was my problem.

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
As Dragrag mentioned.

Does your horn work? Speedometer? Have you checked the fuse for the cruise module?

There is a slip ring on the back of the steering wheel, and a contact block that runs against it. If you're steering column was ever jacked up, the slip ring can become damaged.

I went through a bunch of things on my truck before finding the slip ring/contact block issue. A new contact block was needed to get my cruise working again.

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck is bypassed an ive been trying to fix it for months I'm gonna try that out thanks guys.

Black dawg

Reaction score
Also, and this may sound stupid, but make sure it is actually connected at the throttle at the injection pump. Atleast half the time I have had to diagnose cruise issues the cable was not hooked to the throttle. The rest of the time was brake light switch or the vacuum swich on the brake pedal.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If your cruise is controled by vacuum there will be a large vacuum can under the master cylinder. Usually they rot out at the bottom. I had issues with my system till I removed the can and found a rusted hole in the bottom of it where the mount is. A little rtv and its been wirking great for years...

sweet66monza

Reaction score
Everything works in the truck and all fuses are good. I called up my grandpa (previous owner) and he said the CC worked just fine until he bought his Dirtymax and the Ford sat around all the time.

I think ill check the brake pressure switch first. Can I just jump the plug and go drive it to see if it works? Electronics arent my thing, thats why I drive an IDI and not a powerchoke!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online