Cruise Control Deactivation Switch

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, while waiting for Injection Pump I decided to debug the cruise control. Great writeup in the tech articles BTW. Got to the where I need to check the deactivation switch and I cannot find it. I know it's supposed to be under the master cylinder roughly but all I found there was an empty plug.

Perhaps the previous owner removed it due to the potential fire hazard and recall circus that's been going around. What exactly does it look like? Also what does the plug for it look like?

Thanks.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only switch I know of is the one on the brake and clutch pedals. On the brake pedal, it is the same switch as that which is used to turn on the brake lights, but the cruise has its own set of contacts there.

metrojd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Deactivation switch

The switch is in line Between the master and the Rabs valve.
It uses actual brake pressure to de-activate the Cruse.
It is on the fran=me rail above the Rabs its "T" ed in the line
I would change it any way.
Ford has a recall going on right now Im not sure of the exact years but I recieved a letter about my 93 van.
I changed the one on my CC and there is a kit they give you wich includes the new switch and a pigtail.
On my CC the problem was the switch was leaking and shorting out.
Good luck
John

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Funny you should ask. I'm working on this very item. On my 89 its a vacuum switch located on the brake peddle lever arm under the dash.. When you press on the brakes it opens a vacuum valve which shuts down the cruise. There is also an electrical switch on later master cylinders.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The switch is in line Between the master and the Rabs valve.
It uses actual brake pressure to de-activate the Cruse.
It is on the fran=me rail above the Rabs its "T" ed in the line
I would change it any way.
Ford has a recall going on right now Im not sure of the exact years but I recieved a letter about my 93 van.
I changed the one on my CC and there is a kit they give you wich includes the new switch and a pigtail.
On my CC the problem was the switch was leaking and shorting out.
Good luck
John

Ah! OK, that's the infamous "your truck could catch on fire switch" I think. I wonder why Lady Moose doesn't have one.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I found the Tee but there is no switch in it. Just a plug. There are however 2 wires coming out of a loom near there that are not connected. It must just be a pressure switch probably NC that opens when pressure from the brake lines hits it.

Is the whole issue with the fires simply that they left power to this switch 24/7 rather than have it switched with the ignition? I can assure you that was not an engineers decision. Damn Bean Counters. This is simple electronics 101.

I guess I'll just wait for Ford to start doing the recall work (October 2007) and let them fix it for me;Sweet

ttman4, it's on 93 and later Fords. Lucky you.

metrojd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Recall

Its funny I have a CC that is the same year as the van and Ford didnt send me anything on it.
I already changed the one on my CC , But I wounder if you would Go to Ford and ask them if they would fix it.
I would think if it is a Recall they would have to.
If I rember correctly the letter from Ford asked me to bring the van in and they would repair it at no cost to me, Not give me the parts but THEY would repair it.
So it wouldnt hurt to check.

metrojd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats it

Ah! OK, that's the infamous "your truck could catch on fire switch" I think. I wonder why Lady Moose doesn't have one.

Mine kept blowing fuses in my CC so while I was testing I went to unplug the switch and it started smoking from the brake fluid and shorting out.
Needless to say that didnt fix my Cruse but It didnt catch on fire ;Sweet

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't gotten a letter of any sort but I did look at the vehicles covered by the recall. The 93 F350 was one of them. So I will politely inform my local Ford dealer that they need to schedule me an appointment to perform the recall work on my truck. It stated that the kits would be available in early August but that the recall would not go into effect until October.

Also, I tend to do alot of really long drives (500+ miles) and I really like having a working cruise control at those times.

metrojd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Working Cruise

Im with ya on working cruise
I also do a fair amount of driving.
I have a issue with my ABS light on and I belaeve thats why mine wolnt work.
I had a buddy check out numerous things and it kept going back to the Rabs or ABS Mod. it is behind the glove box and it isnt cheap.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online