Croutons on a Cowpie!

Bowtech28

Reaction score
So in April of 2010 I purchased a 94' f250 n/a idi W/ a Banks sidwinder new 35" BFG's, tube bumpers, warn 9000lbs winch, Alloy wheels, power everything, in great shape, beautiful I must say.And only 142,000 miles Croutons!!! During the purchase I asked the PO if the truck was "cold blooded"(was wondering because he was 30mins late to meet me and only lived 5mins away):dunno he said "ah not too bad Juss needs to be plugged in on cold days." We negotiated the deal and off he went. Between neg. and BSing with the guy that drove me to the meeting the truck had been sitting for about 2hours and had cooled down as it was only about 20 deg. outside. I jump in my new truck to go home and after about 5 trys the truck started and then died. And after cranking a couple of times more it started and ran.
You all know where this is headed but unfortunatly at the time I knew nothing about thease trucks. COWPIE!!!!! Anyway I get home and can't be happier the truck "once running" is stong and man do I look good in it.:rotflmao The weather had warmed up a good bit and over the next few days other than the start and die problem everything seemed to be ok. Then the the temps dropped and the prolems started, I plugged the truck in everynight and some mournings it started right up and ran fine, I noticed that if it hit the first couple of cranks and did not fire I was in trouble the thing would roll over hit a couple of cylinders and then not try again until I relit the wait to start light. (that only stayed on about 5-7 sec) Again I had no idea how this thing should work. And in about 4 trys if she didn't start I was doomed the batts would be dead and my boss would get the "i'm charging my truck I'll be there as soon as I can" call:sorry:
I fought this over the end of spring and started searching the web for some answers. GUESS WHO I FOUND :hail
Oilburners forum and thank god not only for the site but for the hundreds of guys that roam its pages. I just got signed in as a new member (thanks Mike, sorry for whining) and wanted to say thanks.
So far, only because of this site I have replaced all glow plugs as 5 were bad.
Rebuilt the starter because long cranking periods cooked it
Replaced the return lines aka injector install kit that was leaking
adjusted the pump timing (the correct way) to 8.5deg.
replaced the showerheads in both tanks, empty at 1/4 tank problem
rebuilt the water/fuel sep. housing that was leaking fuel, air in fuel light prob.
I can't say enough good things about you guys. Today my truck starts within 2 or 3 sec after the WTS light goes out (now between 15-20sec) runs like a top, is not at risk of "wormholing it self to death and turns heads all over. :cheers:

So in no real order thanks again to Agnem, icanfixall, Yaric008 and all others that I cant think of off the top of my head, THANK YOU ,THANK YOU ,THANK YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jason aka Bowtech28.:hail:hail:hail

89greendiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well that is a nice success story. congrats on your truck running well. it sounds like you had a few problems all at the same time. glad you got them all worked out finally.

Bowtech28

Reaction score
well that is a nice success story. congrats on your truck running well. it sounds like you had a few problems all at the same time. glad you got them all worked out finally.
Well its been 2years + and the truck created some of the problems along the way I think the truck sat of and on with the PO and that didn't help. He was not a mechanical person and didn't consider chaseing the problems like I do although he maintained it very well IE oil change tires and so on but the hard starting kept the thing in the garage most of the time. Good news is I got a good deal on the truck because of it. And other than frustration and some swearing and a few bloody knuckels fixing it was pretty cheap.LOL

Bowtech28

Reaction score
Thanks Heath.
And to any other newbies (my self being one) If you have the, Can I do this myself questions let me know I'm pretty good with thease trucks now too.

Bowtech28

Reaction score
FYI Snaponprofile's pics in the "lets talk Intercoolers" thead has got me spending a few bucks on an intercooler and pieces parts for that project next. Come on springtime!!!!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I had no idea I had helped you but thanks anyway. These engines are about as simple an engine to work on. The cost very little to repair too. What we pay for a set of 8 new delphi injecters most direct injection truck owners pay for just one injecter. Its not uncommon for a psd set of 8 REBUILT injecter plus installation to cost around $4000.00...:eek: Many here have paid less that that for their complete running turvk. And we get better fuel mileage than they do. This is a fine forum that helps those that ask for it. Its common knowledge across the net that this forum is the best. We don't call out those as stupid for asking a question they have no idea of. This is a family friendly site made up of perople that want to help... Sometimes we have to get up on our hind leggs and sent some packing.. But those that have gone are the ones doing it to themselves. To get time on the beach or banned the member has to start something... Then its very sad to see things happen. This is the internet.. Its a lifestyle for some and fun for others..

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow...sounds like a Lemon to ...HARD LEMON AID....rofl

Glad that some here have, been such a great help.

Welcome to OB btw...rofl

Take a minute and fill in your signature too now that you're a registered member LOL

Have fun here like many of us do.

Again Welcome to OB

Al

Bowtech28

Reaction score
Icanfixall. You are so right about the site, I have been on other sites that if your not ,in the know , your somehow a problem. As far as you helping me goes, You had replyed to a post from someone else about the WTS light on duration on IDIs you put in that up to 20 sec. was normal. thats good info if you replace glow plugs in a truck that has only had the WTS light on for 4-5 sec. you give her a try and after 12-14sec. the crud starts to burn off the ribbon connector and it smokes a little bit . I S%&t my pants thinkin I did somthing wrong so I reread the thread to make sure Ididn't miss understand and gave another try Wts stayed on 16 sec. then started to click, (like it should) truck started like a champ and has had no problems starting scence.
So really you were helpin somone else out and fixed me up in the process. Thanks Jason

Bowtech28

Reaction score
Thanks ALl for the welcome . The truck realy wasn't a lemon... So long as you didn't need to drive it.:rotflmao Signature got it. did I mention I'm way better with a wrench than a keyboard!!