Crappy pic quality, but you get the picture.

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

I am a dumb-ass!!! This plug broke when I was trying to take it out, but thats not the part that sucks the most. I assumed that the plug tip was stuck in there, so I put the half plug back in and went to go get pizza. When I came back, and I removed the half plug, I put in a normal plug to see how far into the hole the stuck end was...I got the sinking feeling when the plug fell in the hole down to the seat without hitting the obstruction. I then finger tightened the plug just to make sure and sure as **** there wasn't anything left in the hole. There's no way that anything "that" big could pass, but something had to have happened because I drove it for 30 minutes round trip. Any thoughts??

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
If your lucky it broke off and fell into the Cylinder on the power stroke so when the piston came back up it was the exhaust stroke and just blew it out the exhaust pipe.If your luck is bad,you now have a piston that looks like the surface of the moon......but if your luck is really really bad......the piston would have looked like an asteroid from a cheap B rate movie where they put a nuke into a crack or drill a hole and plant a nuke.....

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

I am a dumb-ass!!! This plug broke when I was trying to take it out, but thats not the part that sucks the most. I assumed that the plug tip was stuck in there, so I put the half plug back in and went to go get pizza. When I came back, and I removed the half plug, I put in a normal plug to see how far into the hole the stuck end was...I got the sinking feeling when the plug fell in the hole down to the seat without hitting the obstruction. I then finger tightened the plug just to make sure and sure as **** there wasn't anything left in the hole. There's no way that anything "that" big could pass, but something had to have happened because I drove it for 30 minutes round trip. Any thoughts??

i have pulled a few out of my motor that looked like that and i dont understand why they would do that cause i wouldnt even in a bind when i tryed to pull it out i just reached down with my fingers and pulled it out and it was missing a tip just like that, i figured it was from my high timing

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
Dyoung im curious as to what the high timing would have to do with wearing out the GPs?

Sorry for the hijack

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Advanced timing will burn up a set of glow plugs very fast. A friend of mine got less than 50 miles out of a set of plugs before they were all melted because of his ridiculous timing.

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
So I guess the question is, if it ran for over 30 mins...is it ok? Well, as much of "ok" as it can be considering the situation. How and the hell can something probably 3/4" long be able to pass through the valves? Do these engines really have that much stroke to the valve?

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Yep the valves open quite a bit and the exhaust ports are pretty darn big. Definitely big enough to pass that glow plug. I've seen it done before, dont be surprised if you shake your exhaust and you can hear something rolling around in your muffler.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Yep the valves open quite a bit and the exhaust ports are pretty darn big. Definitely big enough to pass that glow plug. I've seen it done before, dont be surprised if you shake your exhaust and you can hear something rolling around in your muffler.

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Hell,A buddy of mine had a major Brain fart a while back on his Non turbo deuce.We was doing some work on it and had the redneck air cleaner removed(John Deere tractor.....that needs to be junked!).Well,was late and we didn't get finished so he just shoved a hand towel in there to keep critters out......Yep.Next morning he needed to move the truck and fire it up.Sucked the towel up and actually went clean through the engine some how.Spit it out as little chunks from the stack.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online