crankin fuel!! how much?

Wanderer-rrorc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey..if I CRANK the fuel on the 6.9..how much is it gonna help?? its only 2 flats on the allen key more than it was..(and trailer has soot on it from the exaust..so I know it is blowin a little smoke at WOT..)
(1985 6.9 141K inj pump @ 75K so its prolly due)

Im thinkinin in order..

c6 sucks too much power...and got too tall a tire..but need it for the lack of OD to get RPMs down..so Im kinda stuck where its at..

doin the bodywork right now..bout 1/2 done..and gathering parts for the veggy conversion...:brow:

OH..and bought a BRAND FREAKIN NEW 08 Jeep wrangler..(payments OUCH OUCH!!..forgot how bad they were!!)

EDIT: van got a bath RIGHT after this pix was taken..she's all shiny now..(well..whats not sanded and being repainted..dam rust bubbles!!)

You must be registered for see images attach

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have a pyro guage on the truck? I think two flats is alot without one. Someone else will chime I'm sure but that is my opinion. Also I finally see somebody close to my area;Sweet

Wanderer-rrorc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have a pyro guage on the truck? I think two flats is alot without one. Someone else will chime I'm sure but that is my opinion. Also I finally see somebody close to my area;Sweet

I dont have a pyro..but I do keep tabs on my engine heat and with being a van your sittin over the thing..so its easy to tell if she's crankin the EGT's..and I dont really hog on it too much...

I work at OSU in NERK...so I might have seen ya around...(this town isnt that big to NOT see everybody in the course of a year!!)

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife works for cotc and osu. She does the schedules for tutors. Small world. I figured someone else would have chimed in by now about the fuel ???

smokin69

Always smokin'
Reaction score
I did mine about half a turn and with a fresh K&N and duals I rarely ever smoke, even at full throttle taking off.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No one wants to tell you just how much because most of us either have a truck that is N/A and leave the fuel right where it is or slightly bump it, maybe 1/2 flat and watch the smoke, or have a turbo and gauges and drive by the gauges. I hate having the C6 too, but it can't be denied it will put up with a lot of abuse. I don't think that a manual is probably very feasible in a van. You could swap in an E4ODOA, which would give you an O/D and torque converter lockup, but I really wouldn't recommend it unless you can afford to get a BTS built E4 or similar, or at least give it a very complete overhaul and the 97 and up upgrades. Besides since you're going with WVO its kind of pointless to worry about fuel efficiency. Lower environmental impact and very cheap.

Wanderer-rrorc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No one wants to tell you just how much because most of us either have a truck that is N/A and leave the fuel right where it is or slightly bump it, maybe 1/2 flat and watch the smoke, or have a turbo and gauges and drive by the gauges. I hate having the C6 too, but it can't be denied it will put up with a lot of abuse. I don't think that a manual is probably very feasible in a van. You could swap in an E4ODOA, which would give you an O/D and torque converter lockup, but I really wouldn't recommend it unless you can afford to get a BTS built E4 or similar, or at least give it a very complete overhaul and the 97 and up upgrades. Besides since you're going with WVO its kind of pointless to worry about fuel efficiency. Lower environmental impact and very cheap.

I had the stuff to do the 5pd and 4x4 conversion..just deciced it rides WAY too nice to mess with the suspension...and sold the tranny a couple weeks ago..

I'll probably crank the fuel a little more...right now its gettin 15+ so its not too bad with as big and as much I usually haul with it...

more pix as requested...dont think I have any of the inside...just re-did it a couple months ago..pulled the 2 benches (was a 12 pass van)..and front seats..now it has blue velour bench (that folds to a bed) and 4 captains..which makes it able to sleep 3 adults on couches and 1 on the floor..still havent decided which DVD system to get...want something that will hook to the stereo and also have wireless headphones so when my daughter is watchin tv on roadtrips I dont have the urge to drive off a cliff (ya can only take SO MUCH disney!!)

yes the scoops work..1 engine air..other intake air..aftermarket headlights..

and a couple more...

stock tires...and the new ones..($1200 worth of rims and tires on a $1500 van!!)

Attachments

• stockvan.jpg
    stockvan.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 1
  • bling.jpg
    bling.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 2
  • blingpass.jpg
    blingpass.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Wanderer-rrorc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife works for cotc and osu. She does the schedules for tutors. Small world. I figured someone else would have chimed in by now about the fuel ???

ask her if she knows ANTHONY the maint guy..thats me! Im sure I have talked to her at least SOMETIME in the last 4 years..(this place isnt THAT big!!)LOL

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea I stopped at his house one day when he was having trouble with his flatbed, but i wasn't much help. I think he had several issues from air in fuel lines to a bad glowplug relay and ect.... My wife says she probaly has seen you but she not good with names just faces, she meets alot of people daily.

Wanderer-rrorc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just teller Im one of the 5 maintenance guys..the younger one..;Sweet

its been too dam cold to go play in the garage this weekend..still got more work to do..waitin on spring!!:hail

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont have a pyro..but I do keep tabs on my engine heat and with being a van your sittin over the thing..so its easy to tell if she's crankin the EGT's..and I dont really hog on it too much...

QUOTE]

You can't "keep tabs" on the exhaust temp with a "seat 'o the pants meter"...

You have to have a pyro to be sure.

On my truck, if I step on it so I can just see whisps of smoke, my pyro will jump up very quickly to around 1000 deg, and if I give it just a hint more, it'll just keep climbing.

If I step on it such that I'm seeing rolling clouds of black smoke, it takes less than 20 seconds to approach meltdown temps!!! (1200)

I've already melted one engine through blatant ignorance, it's not fun, so In my humble opinion, if you don't want to melt down your pistons, don't screw with the fuel screw unless you got a pyro!!!

Zigg :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online