Cracked UP!!!

Tinman875

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I really don't come on to the forum unless I have a question or a problem. Here is my story:

I have gone into the travel trailer hauling business and got on those FEMA loads to Baton Rouge, LA. I have been having fun with my 01 Dodge and happy with it. The other day I was rolling acros Illinois when I had to make a fuel stop. I noticed that I could smell antifreeze after stopping and popped the hood. I could not find a single drop of coolant anywhere!! But my turbo was really smoking hot, and after around 20min of letting it cool and looking for a coolant leak, I could not find one, and yes I do let her cool down before turning the key back. So I continued on my way down I-24 and 2 miles outside the town of Metropolis IL, I heard the dash bell sound off like I was out of fuel, but have just got it so I looked down and the dash said check guages and so I did a quick scan of the panel, and sure enough my temp was pegged full on past the 240 mark!! I pulled right over and shut her down, but it was not smoking/steaming any. I popped the hood and after she cooled agian, run my hands aroung every hose, water pump everything and nothing! I noticed the exhaust manifold turned white it was so hot. So I climbed underneath her to see that the whole bottom of my truck was slick with coolant! :mad: At this point I thought it was my heater core dumping out on the ground. So after it cooled, and I filled her back up with water, I limped it to the rest area to gain myself. I ask where a local dealer was, and luckilly it was just down the road. The next morning I had it checked out and it turns out I have a cracked block!! :mad: :puke: On the passenger side underneath the freezplugs there is a cast in "hump" in the block. Just under that, is where my 8in long crack runs horizontal with it. :puke: So, I need a new motor and the question is-- can I put a gen 3 in her?? If I have to do it, I may as well be unique! By the way I caught a flight home, and my truck is still in Metropolis, IL at the Lynwood Dodge dealer. I have a trucking company looking to find my truck a ride home for $1800. What a weekend. Stranded 2000miles away from home, and only 60k on her. Can anyone help me??????

haz-mat19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you only have 60K on your truck you are under warrenty. I would look into having them replace it for free, or the $100 deductable. Hopefully you will fall under warrenty and the cost will not kill you. You could have a 53 block, I have heard people say some early '01's have the 53 block. Bummer either way :puke: . That sucks, hope everything gets worked out.

Tinman875

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They ( corporate dodge customer support) said that since my baby was made in Canada a, they can't help me. My warranty was up in July 05. 5 year or 100k. still :puke:

EMD Diesel Power

Misguided Trident
Reaction score
Tinman875 said:
They ( corporate dodge customer support) said that since my baby was made in Canada a, they can't help me. My warranty was up in July 05. 5 year or 100k. still :puke:

Canada???? That makes no sense... When did Dodge start building Cummins trucks in Canada?? and which Plant?

Only ones I know of are Warren and St. Louis in the US, and Saltillo in Mexico.

And it sounds like you have the classic 53 block crack.... major bummer.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was just reading on this, never heard of it before this thread... interesting link Here where they discuss the locknstich repair on the cracked block.

i think i'd repair it.. stitch it up :rolleyes: and sell it to an unsuspecting buyer. :Sly

its too bad that dodge won't make it right. thats really bad.

http://www.locknstitch.com/RepairExamples.htm

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
We had 2 "53" blocks go in a Freigtliner FL70. The first one went with less than 5K miles on the clock. It sucks. I hope that you get some kind of remedy to your problem and get back under way. Best of Luck
Ken

Tinman875

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea the dealer sent me my numbers and drum roll please........ 53040!! They are being chicken shitz bout it. My vin actually starts with 3b and the door jam says a big made in Canada a. I am about to just silicone it and trade it back in :Sly I have some real industrial stuff. My bad luck. By the way what is the lottery at.... 300mil???? Oh and on the crack size, just about an 8 incher

Tinman875

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I talked to the fordcummins guy on the phone, and he said that the conversion to a 3rd gen ( 03-04) would be easy. It would bolt right in, intercooler everything would bolt up. All I would need is a new down pipe off the turbo to my 4in exhaust, Trim the fan shroud, and splice a few wires for the pcm. He said he can have an engine running on the ground with 3 wires. I made sure that he would be my tech support for the transplant, and he said he would walk me throught the wirirn, with schematics he would send me. So I don't know, long block 01 is the same price as a 04 with 30k on it and complete with harness, computer, everything. Pretty much a drop in turnkey. What do you guys think? He is just fininshing up a gen 3 into a 97 right now.

Last edited:

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Heck I would do the 3rd gen and not look back if it's as easy as he claims. What kind of price is he going to give you on 3rd gen engine?

Tinman875

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I am going to convert. The price for a long block 52 is 6k. the price for a complete gen3 turbo, ect.. 6k. Kinda no brainer. I like feed back though.

Tinman875

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The prices are the same for both long block gen 2 and the complete gen 3. I just called him (again) and he is selling me a branny new gen 3 for a 03 dodge with no miles for out the door 6200. Not bad eh??? ;Sweet

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7