CPS question

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
yes, the transmission is that biggest reason for the V10 comment. i won't buy a 6.0/6.4 and i really would rather not get another 4R100. and still on the fence about changing truck brands, Dmax/Allison trucks are spendy and i just cant talk myself into a Dodge. i like the SD and i want a Torqshift. with the **** mileage i have always gotten with this truck and diesel costing $.40 more per gallon than 87 there's not a lot argument toward the economy of the diesel for me. and i don't mod my trucks nor do i care to try and beef up a crappy trans in an '03 or older truck which will be 8-9 years old with God knows how many miles by the time i get it (if i was to buy another 7.3). believe me i have been browsing Autotrader steadily and there are not a lot of good 7.3 trucks out there antwhere in the country that are not lifted/ghettoed out in some way. '05-newer 3-valve V10 trucks are more available, but still rare compared to 6 leakers. and with 362 hp/457 tq and 4.10 gears it will pull much like my 3.73 equipped 7.3, and do it much more quietly.

bottom line is my '99 is paid for but the rust is taking over. i did a lot of rust repair this fall and some of it is bubbling thru already. Mel you know as much as anyone about professional image regarding your work vehicle. that's why you get your Ex. with the clientele i have i cant be rolling up in some noisy rustbucket.

as far as getting a better tech, i have one, but i have to drive 3 hours each way to see him. :dunno Nick you're great but it's just not always practical.

i dunno, i'll just keep driving it for a year at least. i promised Wendy no new trucks until at least 2011.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
and Mel, the CPS is on the lower front of the block, near the harmonic balancer. the EBPV/ wastegate sensors, hell if i know where they are.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
69oiler... Was it cold when you lost your power? My 2000 did something very similar to what you described but no CEL. It turns out my Fuel heater in my fuel filter housing was buried in sand and not heating the fuel to get it thru the filter. It would build almost no boost. I thought at first my wastgate was stuck open but it moved fine. So i thought my fuel was gelling so i pulled the filter. Then i found at least a cup of sand in the bottom of my filter housing and the heater was not heating the fuel. I flushed out the fuel bowl and replaced my filter. problem solved. Hope this helps

Reaction score
69oiler... Was it cold when you lost your power? My 2000 did something very similar to what you described but no CEL. It turns out my Fuel heater in my fuel filter housing was buried in sand and not heating the fuel to get it thru the filter. It would build almost no boost. I thought at first my wastgate was stuck open but it moved fine. So i thought my fuel was gelling so i pulled the filter. Then i found at least a cup of sand in the bottom of my filter housing and the heater was not heating the fuel. I flushed out the fuel bowl and replaced my filter. problem solved. Hope this helps

I Had the same problem, only did it when it was cold. I thought the same thing about the waste gate, but it was crud not allowing the fuel heater to do its job. easy fix. I also drained and flushed my fuel tank at that time

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
I Had the same problem, only did it when it was cold. I thought the same thing about the waste gate, but it was crud not allowing the fuel heater to do its job. easy fix. I also drained and flushed my fuel tank at that time

We prob got fuel at the same place:frustrate

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
There is a fuel heater in the bottom of the fuel filter housing. It looks like a hot plate. It is designed to keep the fuel warm enough so it is thin enough to go thru the filter when it gets cold out. IT DOES NOT KEEP FUEL FROM GELLING

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
There is a fuel heater in the bottom of the fuel filter housing. It looks like a hot plate. It is designed to keep the fuel warm enough so it is thin enough to go thru the filter when it gets cold out. IT DOES NOT KEEP FUEL FROM GELLING

strangely most of mine were missing:eek::D

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
it was in the mid 30's and my fuel heater is dead and unplugged. besides i think i have a fuel filter light, that would come on instead on the SES light.

I haven't had any problems with gelled fuel even at 0 degrees.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
yes, the transmission is that biggest reason for the V10 comment. i won't buy a 6.0/6.4 and i really would rather not get another 4R100. and still on the fence about changing truck brands, Dmax/Allison trucks are spendy and i just cant talk myself into a Dodge. i like the SD and i want a Torqshift. with the **** mileage i have always gotten with this truck and diesel costing $.40 more per gallon than 87 there's not a lot argument toward the economy of the diesel for me. and i don't mod my trucks nor do i care to try and beef up a crappy trans in an '03 or older truck which will be 8-9 years old with God knows how many miles by the time i get it (if i was to buy another 7.3). believe me i have been browsing Autotrader steadily and there are not a lot of good 7.3 trucks out there antwhere in the country that are not lifted/ghettoed out in some way. '05-newer 3-valve V10 trucks are more available, but still rare compared to 6 leakers. and with 362 hp/457 tq and 4.10 gears it will pull much like my 3.73 equipped 7.3, and do it much more quietly.bottom line is my '99 is paid for but the rust is taking over. i did a lot of rus/t repair this fall and some of it is bubbling thru already. Mel you know as much as anyone about professional image regarding your work vehicle. that's why you get your Ex. with the clientele i have i cant be rolling up in some noisy rustbucket.

as far as getting a better tech, i have one, but i have to drive 3 hours each way to see him. :dunno Nick you're great but it's just not always practical.

i dunno, i'll just keep driving it for a year at least. i promised Wendy no new trucks until at least 2011.

Did they get that whole blowing sparkplugs out problems fixed in the 05 and newer v10's?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US

Members online