CPS question

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
yes Aric that problem is ancient history. in my RV forum the V10 is regarded as the gas engine of choice. it can run with the stock diesels, in fact in a magazine test it ran neck and neck with the 6.4. it will outrun my stock 7.3 thats for sure.

my 7.3 gets 9-10 towing and 12-13 empty, up to 15 if i really baby it and stay at 60 or under. even if i lose a couple mpg, with gas being cheaper it's pretty much a wash... and my ears may stop ringing.

dont get me wrong, i love my 7.3 but i also like a little variety in my life. the slow and stinky diesel thing may have run its course for me.

you never know, i may have a change of heart...but i think i can live with this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AAdLH2sHdQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHkf-jeC2ic

Last edited:

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
you've always had a lemon for mileage with that truck so I guess going down to a gasser mileage is not a factor. My 96 is a standard but its also 4.10 geared and 8-10 plowing 10-14 the rest of the time but thats at 8500 lbs empty but its hardly ever empty I myself could never go back to a gasser after having the torque of a diesel and the wifes 03 pulls consistent 18's with bigger then stock tires in everyday driving

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
it's understandable why you would not want to go back to gas. the main reason i would consider it is lack of availability of the 7.3. if by chance i found a cherry CC 7.3 truck like you did with low miles, i'd consider buying it and doing trans upgrades and hope i got better mileage out of it than my current truck (couldnt get much worse)

but if i want to stay with a Superduty truck i have no choice but to open up the option of the gasser. i did cross over from IDI to 7.3 PSD but i will not take a chance with any newer vintage PSD...or any DPF equipped diesel. i tow 6000-7000 lbs regularly and occasionally up to ~10k so i know i can get by with the gasser. and i dont "roll coal" so that aspect of diesel ownership has no appeal to me.

i cant get excited about the GM trucks even though i know they have a good diesel powertrain in them, and even though i do like the look of the Dodge, and of course the Cummins is sweet...i was brought up on Mopar and lets just say i learned my lesson. some say the '04 and up Dodge trucks are better than the older ones, but i dont know, they aren't old enough yet to prove anything to me. i'll probably test drive a few before i make a final decision. in the end it will be whatever i can get the best deal on with a rust-free body.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score

thanks Brad...but i'm picky. don't want a white truck (unless it's 2 tone with another color then i may consider it if it's otherwise perfect) and dont want a stick shift. i know manuals trannys are technically better, but i dont want one in my work truck. i do a lot of towing in residential areas, and backing into tight driveways with a trailer, and i just don't want to deal with a clutch. i had a stick shift IDI for years and it drove me nuts with the clutch chatter while maneuvering a trailer in tight spots. i much prefer the ease of an auto.

that is a clean truck though. someone will give it a good home.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
thanks Brad...but i'm picky. don't want a white truck (unless it's 2 tone with another color then i may consider it if it's otherwise perfect) and dont want a stick shift. i know manuals trannys are technically better, but i dont want one in my work truck. i do a lot of towing in residential areas, and backing into tight driveways with a trailer, and i just don't want to deal with a clutch. i had a stick shift IDI for years and it drove me nuts with the clutch chatter while maneuvering a trailer in tight spots. i much prefer the ease of an auto.

O! autos are cake to find.

tjl

Diesel Nut
Reaction score

What's wrong with white ;Poke:rotflmao

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
Those are some nice trucks and I hear ya about not going any newer in the diesels That was the main thing when we got ours was it had to be a 7.3

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

Back to the fuel bowl heater. Had mine disconnected for some time now with no problem starting or running, even in this cold weather, to cold to change it now. If it shorts out and blows the 30 amp fuse (under the dash panel) that also supplies power to the PCM, then your dead in the water. IH price was $26, list at $65.45, Ford dealer was $150. Just in case anyone has problems with it. :D

Caution guy's, when I first clicked on the pic there was an advertisment and got the message, "DO NOT PROCEED VIRUS INFECTED", cancelled it out, clicked on it the 2nd time and no warning, and no advert.

If you don't want to take that chance here is the IH P/N 1831196C92

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

Back to the fuel bowl heater. Had mine disconnected for some time now with no problem starting or running, even in this cold weather, to cold to change it now. If it shorts out and blows the 30 amp fuse (under the dash panel) that also supplies power to the PCM, then your dead in the water. IH price was $26, list at $65.45, Ford dealer was $150. Just in case anyone has problems with it. :D

Caution guy's, when I first clicked on the pic there was an advertisment and got the message, "DO NOT PROCEED VIRUS INFECTED", cancelled it out, clicked on it the 2nd time and no warning, and no advert.

If you don't want to take that chance here is the IH P/N 1831196C92

yes when mine blew i was dead in the water, deep in the woods outside Wheeling WV. thankfully Nick came to the rescue...i have not missed having a fuel heater yet.