Couple oil storage questions

Classicfordguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been meaning to get my oil purification setup going for a while now but keep getting sidetracked or delayed by lack of an oil source.

Well I finaly got a good oil source for peanut oil and have started collecting some. My plan is to store the dirty oil in a 500 gallon tank and process it as I need it for my truck.

I have about 100 gallons that I collected about 8 months ago from a pizza place that has been sitting in two 55 gallon plastic drums ever since. I pumped out on of the barrels and the oil on top looked good but the bottom was about 8 gallions of water, probably from some rain getting in.

1. Is this oil still good or does it go bad? Should I just get rid of this old pizza place oil and only use the newer peanut oil Im getting?

2. Do I need to worry about the oil in my storage tank going bad (up to 500 gal) if it does go bad how can I tell?

3. What do you guys do with unusable oil and the watery junk from the bottom of barrels?

Thanks in advance for any advice, can't wait to get this going I'v got alot of to do.

-Rob

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
1. Is this oil still good or does it go bad? Should I just get rid of this old pizza place oil and only use the newer peanut oil Im getting?

The older oil should be fine so long as it doesn't smell particularly bad. It's either a singe your face off smell when you open the barrel or a smell of paint thinner that determines if it's bad. No need to get rid of it if it isn't bad.

2. Do I need to worry about the oil in my storage tank going bad (up to 500 gal) if it does go bad how can I tell?

I would suggest you dewater and filter your oil before storing it, this will keep the bacteria count down, which is what increases FFA's and rancidity.

3. What do you guys do with unusable oil and the watery junk from the bottom of barrels?

Put it in a commercial renderer's Parkan ;) the restaurant will thank you.

Last edited:

Classicfordguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the long response time, had some computer issues. Thanks for all the answeres. The oil does not smell very bad so I'll go ahead and keep it. Filtering the oil before storing it should be easy, I painted the tank flat black so the heat from the sun will help seperate the water from it.

The plan is to offload the oil into the 500 gal tank just till I process it, the same oil won't be sitting for long periods. I did read somewhere the storing in a metal tank is a bad idea, any idea why or if its even true?

Thanks,

-Rob

sassyrel

Reaction score
just so somes of yous knows-----------:D, i had some oil i got from a hyvee. it stunk like mad, but was near clear!!!! let it set thru the winter--and still stunk in the spring!!! thought winter would kill the smell and bacteria!!! NOT! but,i ran it thru my setup like i usually do, and it worked just fine. when it came thru the final filter,it was real close clear, but the smell!! thinking it was something other than bacteria! :dunno

oly_fab

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the long response time, had some computer issues. Thanks for all the answeres. The oil does not smell very bad so I'll go ahead and keep it. Filtering the oil before storing it should be easy, I painted the tank flat black so the heat from the sun will help seperate the water from it.

The plan is to offload the oil into the 500 gal tank just till I process it, the same oil won't be sitting for long periods. I did read somewhere the storing in a metal tank is a bad idea, any idea why or if its even true?

Thanks,

-Rob

Painting the tank black and heating with the sun will mix the water and junk up with the good oil. It will cause heat convection. Take a cubie(the 5 gal jug the oil comes in) after it's settled and set it in the sun, you'll see the settled junk rise up on the hot side.

Better to let it settle in the shade or add even heat here's a good read, this is close to the system I use. http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/159605551/m/7611079412

Stu

sassyrel

Reaction score
Painting the tank black and heating with the sun will mix the water and junk up with the good oil. It will cause heat convection. Take a cubie(the 5 gal jug the oil comes in) after it's settled and set it in the sun, you'll see the settled junk rise up on the hot side.

Better to let it settle in the shade or add even heat here's a good read, this is close to the system I use. http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/159605551/m/7611079412

Stu

never have had that happen--i set 5 gallon cubies outside in the hot sun all the time--the junk settles, and oil goes to the top---

Classicfordguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm thats interesting, I imagine the bigger the tank the more prone to heat convection it would be especialy if it is opaque. Makes sense, good to know.

Thanks,

-Rob

oly_fab

Full Access Member
Reaction score
never have had that happen--i set 5 gallon cubies outside in the hot sun all the time--the junk settles, and oil goes to the top---

Dont know what to tell ya, I can set one out in the sun and watch the crud line creap up the side.

Stu