Corrosion in the front radiator support. How common is it?

rogbayswater

Reaction score
I have two IDI vehicles, a 6.9 1986 motorhome, and a 7.3 1990 (actually Nov 89) F250 club cab. The front radiator support on both are corroded.
I am about to clean them up, welding in a few patches on the motorhome, but just cleaning and painting the F250. Is there anybody else with this problem? Does anyone have a solution besides scraping, grinding and painting. Has anyone tried installing a sacrificial zinc anode to keep the rust at bay?

rogbayswater

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Every one I see has big holes rusted through under the radiator.

It is a simple matter to re-fabricate better than the mud-trap/salt-trap that Ford provided.

There is no good reason for that area to be made like it is.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
I patched mine up when I had the engine out. The problem is they used a dozen layers of very thin steel that gets eaten alive by the salt water that gets in the layers. Its not hard to do. all you need is some scraps to patch in, some welding skill and a grinder.

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is so bad the radiator is sagging and the fan is slowly milling the shroud.. lol

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would have loved to show you the process we went through on the Night Moose, but Webshots ate all our pictures, so they are gone. :(

Hit Man X

Huffin Diesel Smoke
Reaction score
Hell, my in Texas since new '88 F150 I own has corrosion on the core support. Passenger side is the worst. Rest of the truck is rot free. Well, not unless you consider rotted out cab mounts. :D

Probably going to order a new unit from LMC or a similar place. Anyone tried that part?