Cooling prob. solved- now where's the power?

flybear

Reaction score
O.K., for those that read my earlier post, the factory thermostat and a new waterpump did the trick. (Pump was o.k., but changed it anyway. Thermostat was incorrect- needs the factory one!)
So I finally got to tow with it, (13,000 combined weight), and although it ran cool, I thought I might not make it up a couple of the hills. Didn't expect that!!! I was down to about 20-25 mph on one hill with my foot on the floor and black smoke everywhere.(New nickname: slow-n-stinky).With 4:10's I was hoping for better. I know a turbo is out of the question for now, so what are my other options? I looked around for a better exhaust (stock right now), but haven't been able to find one. If I do 2.5" and a more open muffler going out in FRONT of the rear wheel, will that help at all? That would get rid of a few feet of pipe. I need to find out more about the air cleaner mod also. Does anyone know of a company making exhaust and intake kits for this truck? I would really like to find some help for this truck without breaking the bank! Thanks.

jauguston

Retired
Reaction score
Sadly any mod short of a turbo will get you very little improvement in performance. I did most of the mods before I installed the turbo and they were really a waste of time and money. The "What you get for what you spend" just doesn't pencil out.

Jim

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Opening up my intake and exhaust (3 inch) helped quite a bit, especially with the EGT's. Mine dropped considerably and it sure seems to have more power. I bought my 3 inch y pipe from Autojet and while it said for later 7.3's, it fit like a glove. I have a straight through muffler and stacks, so my pipe length is considerable. Also, I have a very restrictive exhaust on there before as well (like 1 7/8 true duals with glasspacks! :puke: ) so my change may be more noticeable because of huge restriction I had before.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you had it properly timed yet. Timing can make a huge difference in the performance of a diesel and is often overlooked.

How about the injectors or injection pump. You shouldn't be blowing that much black smoke on a stock N/A IDI unless you are really lugging it.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the motor is not delivering its full power.

My truck weighs 12K empty and will pull hills at 55 mph no problem.

I've owned 5 different IDI trucks (all non turbo) and there were huge variations in power depending on engine condition.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What kind of grade are you asking it to pull with 13,000 and is that the load or the combined weight? If you can't do the turbo, you could look into a 3 inch exhaust. Napa can get the pipes pretty cheap if you can make the bends yourself or you could also buy the bends and adapters from them. You can go with a homemade ramair system like Zigg has in his old truck, and/or you could use his type of propane fumigation. My truck has always had enough power here in Florida, but in most places its very flat and we're never more than 20-50' above sea level so a turbo even is a performance mod and not basically a necessity. That said I decided that I would wait on most mods for a turbo. I snagged one on ebay for about $700 complete kit last year, but it needed a complete overhaul which almost wiped out my savings, still saved around 400-500 off a new Hypermax. Ditch any restrictive exhaust pipes and get a free flowing muffler, and save your cash for a turbo, an IDI with a turbo, or a newer truck...

flybear

Reaction score
No, I haven't had it timed yet, but it runs great except for the towing and hills part. It was 13000 combined weight. The black smoke is mostly when I am lugging it. The hill that brought me down to 20-25 was rather steep, but I've pulled the same trailer up the same hill with my J-20 at 30-40 mph. I just didn't expect this truck to have that much trouble with it. I wondered if any of the 7.3 exhaust kits would work on the 6.9, it sounds like maybe they will?

hoodshauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
13000 on a steep hill N/A @20-25 might be a bit slow but it helps if you keep it from lugging to. We have been Running N/A for the last couple of months pulling horses in our area. We have some pretty steep hills. Fully loaded have seen 30-35 MPH. So I would say you are not to far off.:dunno

lucky

lucky
Reaction score
Flybear:
Sorry about the lack of pep. It comes with the rest of the truck. I've had the 6.9 since 99 and poured lots of money into pre turbo mods - a waste. However, I was in so far with this tar baby I pushed and got a turbo. I should have done it first.
My honest advice to you. Sell it for more than you paid for it and buy something with a turbo. As long as you tow with this thing you'll watch the PS and Dodges leave you smoking on the hills. It ain't worth it. Good luck.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The manifolds are the same as 7.3 so the bigger exhaust will bolt on, and help out some.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your truely going to rule out a turbo, the next best thing is probably headers, and big exhaust, intake, and propane, and water injection. Yes, they do make headers for these, and I think they come from Stan's. Those are probably the least costly mods if you do it yourself. That and refresh your fuel system and get it timed on the nose.

flybear

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input. I can't see selling this truck, I really do like it...... Except for the towing and hills part.....That being said, the group I usually travel with says not to worry, they won't disown me if I hold them up once in a while on a hill. Good friends really are nice to have!
In the meantime, I'm waiting to hear from Banks about their product line for this truck and I'm considering making my own exhaust if need be. I know there is no way I can get a turbo in the near future (house purchase using up all funds) so I'll have to make do with what's left and get used to being slow on the hills. But hey, at least it seats six and runs good otherwise- thats what I really need.

creighta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree, 2k is hard to come by, but it looks to me lie summit and jegs have headers under $200 (idk quality) I have been considering them myself.

Anyone know if you can use long tubes with a turbo mod down the road:dunno