Coolant

rattleonby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 7.3 IDI and it came with red coolant. I'm guessing its probably fleet coolant or something of the sort. I was wondering if its true that the "red" coolant eats away at the head gaskets with or without additives. I've heard both sides of this story and just wanted some guidance and/or experience in this area as to what the best coolant is to run in a stock idi...:)

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I've never heard of that.
Are you sure it's red and not pink?
(Fleetcharge IIRC)

And I believe some people have had good luck with the Caterpillar coolant, I think it's pretty cheap too.
All the way up to the EVANS Coolant, which is $$$$ but people run it as non-pressurized. So in a way it's easier on the cooling system.

rattleonby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It looks like it's red...idk if it would be of some fleet brand but nonetheless i was planning on changing it anyway. Any good recommendations on reliable coolant that is easier on the ph levels? I know I'll have to test the ph once a year or so..

Reaction score
Read up on cavitation and SCAs before you make any decisions. Or just run Fleet Charge mixed 50/50 with distilled water. You can buy it at most auto part stores. As mentioned, it's a pink coolant.

Mike

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And I believe some people have had good luck with the Caterpillar coolant, I think it's pretty cheap too.
I'm not sure "cheap" is the right word, but I've been running red Caterpillar Extended-Life Coolant since 2005. Coupled with a coolant filter, my cooling system's stayed clean and in excellent condition over the last 8 years and 50K+ miles. With that said, I started running it on fresh head gaskets and oil cooler O-rings; I too have heard people say that it'll eat old gaskets and seals (and I can confirm that it'll eat even fresh teflon tape :rolleyes: ), so I don't know how wise of an idea it would be to run on an engine with cooling system gaskets (including the head gaskets) at an unknown age. I'm not saying tha tyou need to dump it, but I would suggest doing some further research...

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dye color doesn't mean much anymore. The "red coolant / head gasket" talk is a reference to Dex-Cool, an orangeish-reddish coolant used in GM cars in the '90s. It was found to damage gaskets, and is mostly out of use today. Very unlikely to see it in an International engine in a Ford truck. That's most likely FleetCharge. As said, focus on the SCA; get some test strips and check it.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cat coolant, fleet charge or zerex G05. all good coolants. Anything that the big diesel makers approve will work.
If a coolant eats gaskets and orings there are other nastys in the system, dex cool was a big money maker for gm.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Heres a thought. If it came in the truck.... Change it.
You can pretty well bet its been in there too long anyway. Why not just quit worrying about what it might be and just get something in there that you know what you have and you know itsfresh.
Any coolant that runs water requires changing, so might as well pick now as a good time to do it.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hum-hawed, procrastinated thought about it for 6 years about the coolant in my 90. Finely broke down and changed it to FleetGard, for a 50/50 mix, use the concentrate, mix with steam distilled water. To change, drain everything including the block (drain plug on each side), flush with clear water, drain again, fill with the above. Take the heater hose off heater (bottom one that tee's into the block), helps burp the air out. No SCA's to add, already in the antifreeze, good for a 100,000 miles or five years which ever comes first. Just about every IH truck dealer is all they have for sale.

rattleonby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea a flush is in the works along with other fluids and lil' bugs to iron out. I'll take all your guys' advice about SCA's and get more test strips as I ran out of mine at my shop. All in all thank you guys for all the advice thats the reason I joined this good forum in the first place! :D

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can get FleetCharge at Advance Auto these days, usu. cheaper than the truck stop or Intl dealer. Swing one of their 20% discount codes, and it goes down to aprx. $12 / gallon.

stumiister

Diesel Truck Tech
Reaction score
I'm using Chevron 50/50 extended life coolant in my truck its the same stuff that is used in the big trucks I work on. and havnt had any issues yet. I called chevron tech line they said it is safe even for my diesel Mercedes with an aluminum head.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online