Coolant Test Strips

Wideopen

It's all about me.
Reaction score
The tag on the test strip said not to use the Reservoir for retrieving a sample?? So we're do you guys get the coolant sample from??

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
In the 94-97s there is a petcock under the radiator. I open it sloooooly and test it in the coolant stream. I put a lid from a 33 gallon plastic garbage can under it on the ground to catch the waste...it's poison for my dog.

Last edited:

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, you have one, too.

I usually get a little sample in a cup from the petcock, then dip the strip in the cup.

Just make sure the cup is clean, like an old glass from the kitchen, so it won't ruin the analysis.

ThePunisher

Reaction score
Don't forget to warm the engine up a little 50*F - 130*F if your using Fleetguard 3 way test strips ..

Believer45

Reaction score
The concern with using a surge tank is the coolant is not circulated through the tank on a conventional setup. If yours is like mine, the surge tank is pressurized and the coolant circulates through it so the mix there should match the mix in the entire cooling system. In my case, I am OK using the surge tank (actually called a DeGas bottle on this kind of system).

If you can get a clean sample from the petcock that is the best, as stated earlier. Using the petcock be careful not to contaminate the sample with grease, oil, road dirt and such that has built up on the underside of the truck around the bottom of the radiator.

Dave / Believer45

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online