coolant running into over flow tank

ADV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am having a problem where some time when I first start the truck and let it idle to warm up it pukes coolant into the overflow tank.

I was thinking a possible sticky thermostat because the temp will get up to 220 and I will have no heat from the vents. Then it will suddenly jump to 190 I will have instant heat. It will sit at 190 all day after it drops to 190.

I just replaced the thermostat with a motocraft one. Also new radiator, heater core, coolant filter, and new fleet charge coolant. Water pump about 1 year old.

Do I possibly have a faulty thermostat?

Black dawg

Reaction score
you have trapped air in cooling system. t stat opening is delayed because of air...no heat because of air in heater core.

pull off a heater hose at the core, and try getting more coolant in the radiator.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^Agreed. Sounds like an air pocket to me. Sometimes it takes more time than one would think to bleed all the air out of the cooling system.

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Third vote for air. Could open your rad cap too while warming it up (not driving). Least that's worked for me with gassers

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
someone posted a modified coolant pressure tester that would suck all of the air out, i think it was Towcat....

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Use an old radiator cap and drill a hole for a small hose barb. Screw the barb in and pump away with your brake bleeder pump (We all have one, right?)