cooking roadfood ON your IDI

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We need to do an IDI cookbook of what you can cook on the engine while driving and how.

George D.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I some times take hot pokets and put them in the sleve then slide thim back in the plastic and leave them on my dash at work come out at luch they are nice and crispy and perfect teperature.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
I have a friend that bought a car a few years back with a blown intake manifold gasket, long story short he found 2 hotdogs wraped in aluminum foil in the valley.

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
My parents said that when I was a baby they used to ride me around at night to get me to sleep. They would put my bottle under the hood to warm it up.

And when dad used to drive to the oil rigs he would put roast or brisket or what have you under the hood of the truck to cook so he wouldn't have to eat truck stop food.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Back when I drove a big truck that was REAL common. I would heat stuff up all the time, especially if I was stuck in a snow drift for a few days with no sign of getting pulled out, I'd just go back in the trailer and break open a case of frozen soup or whatever I happen to have back there and mark it on the bill to have them bill it to me , and I'd heat it up on the engine and it would be feast time. I only went hungry once in a blizzard when I didn't check the contents of th etrailer before leaving and after getting stuck in a 12 ft drift I suddenly found I had a load of apple tree sapplings.... about a day and a half later I was having a guy in teh nearest truck describe his cup of coffee,( was blowing too hard to get out and try to make it, way too dangerous , even with a pair of cross country skis in the sidebox) you know you're in bad shape when.....

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
David85, I think it's been called Hobo cooking. But I may be wrong. Anyway, this has been around forever. I think it was first started in prehistoric times when Fred Flintstone warmed up his Bronto Burgers on his dinosaur at work. Then as time progressed and life went on, food was warmed up on the backs of ***** out in Sutters mill, and even the Amish today have their own ways of heating their hot dogs up that I won't get into.

Personally, I've never tried it but would if I needed to. I just prefer my roadkill cold.

THECACKLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys need to get out more...
Brimmstone... Here's the book...
Diesel Dining: The Art of Manifold Cooking by Cecil Jorgensen & Kathleen Szalay
Just don't forget you put it in there like I do with my coffee in the microwave. You may just surprise the next customer in line when you fire it off and then the menu will change to something much less desirable as mentioned earlier.
Calvin, I too am trying to get the stink out from under my hood from a "Fan Kill".

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys need to get out more...
Brimmstone... Here's the book...
Diesel Dining: The Art of Manifold Cooking by Cecil Jorgensen & Kathleen Szalay
Just don't forget you put it in there like I do with my coffee in the microwave. You may just surprise the next customer in line when you fire it off and then the menu will change to something much less desirable as mentioned earlier.
Calvin, I too am trying to get the stink out from under my hood from a "Fan Kill".

Cackler let me know if you need some different chems to try and kill the odor. I've got some stuff that will literally eat the rotting flesh off the metal. We use it to clean evaporator cores in tour buses. I've seen it dissolve a dead bird that got stuck in a condensor in one of our limos. I wasn't about to try and clean that one out any other way.