Cooking batteries!

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Y'all have any idea what would cause my truck to overcharge, to the point of spewing fumes, my secondary battery? It only happens after I've been running at highway speed for a while. It's getting expensive fast!

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you! I thought there was a fuse between the regulator and batteries!
I'll go get a regulator. Can you help me understand why the secondary battery bore the brunt of the failed regulator? I don't get it.

Wicked97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was the weaker one of the two. Or it has a shorted cell.

Do some testing before you buy anything. Use a multimeter and find out what the actual voltage is.

m885

Reaction score
Corrosion would be my guess. Older cables oxidize and require more voltage/amps to jump through. That applies to the grounds too. I replace cables routinely and always use di-electric grease on the connections.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
X2 on the regulator, mine's charged at 16.5 since I got it, but I just keep the blower motor on high and run with the headlights all the time to keep it in check, keeps the voltage at 14.6

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
When you install that voltage regulater disconnect the batteries first. Then plug in the regulater. Then connect the battery. This trick cost me three regulaters long ago. The mom & pop strater & alternater shop told me what I was doing wrong... Sure huff worked.. I asked why this was happening.. Just shrugged his shoulders saying "it just happens sometimes like that".. Lesson learned...

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^^ What He says....HE KNOWS HIS *****! ^^^^ Seriously I've heard/known this too for quite a long time...IIRC Bill my friend told me back in the 80's

Just sayin....

Gary is in the KNOW!

Al

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Al... Your imbarrassing me... I had to be told about this once also. But passing it along so others are on the same page is what this forum is all about... Now if someone reads this.. Then comes here whining about burning up a regulater asking for help... Well I'm gonna tell them to go play leakfrog with a unicorn....:angel:

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you gentlemen! The regulator did the trick. I truly appreciate the help and advice. If you find yourself in/around Denton, Texas let me know, I'd be glad get is a round of beers.

Wicked97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you gentlemen! The regulator did the trick. I truly appreciate the help and advice. If you find yourself in/around Denton, Texas let me know, I'd be glad get is a round of beers.
Glad it was a simple fix.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
When you install that voltage regulater disconnect the batteries first. Then plug in the regulater. Then connect the battery. This trick cost me three regulaters long ago. The mom & pop strater & alternater shop told me what I was doing wrong... Sure huff worked.. I asked why this was happening.. Just shrugged his shoulders saying "it just happens sometimes like that".. Lesson learned...

That goes for saying with ANYTHING electric on a vehicle. Pull the batt cable first. Folks get a bit lazy because older vehicles tend to be a bit more forgiving and you can tend to get away with a lot of things on them a number of times...... before bad things happen. If you were to be working on newer computer controlled vehicles the first step is ALWAYS to remove the battery cable and to make sure to follow anti static procedures just as if you were working on a giant friggen rolling computer, when servicing ANYTHING on their fuel or ignition or emission systems because, well basically , you are.
I do love old diesels :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online