Considering these tires...here

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
ahh.. military surplus i bet. the 6x6's at work have them on them. pretty big, i hope you don't have stock rears under that bronco, uless you trailer it only to shows and it never leaves 4 lo. LOL :rotflmao in that case don't waste a good set of tires... :backoff

-Jon

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those little things? I bet you could fit them in your designer handbag! Right next to your lipstick....

Seriously though, a set of those would own. Shipping would be worth it. But where the hell do you find 20" rims at an equal bargain?

Myself I'm thinking of 35" retreads from www.treadwright.com.

Pipeliner_86

IDI up high
Reaction score
I remeber seeing an ebay seller that sold those and other military surpluss tires, that also had steel 20" rims avail.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those are a little on the large side, and heavy as all get out... I know the 9.00R16's I have for my 460 truck are... All steel belts in them...
The 9.00's are a much more livable 36" tall. But, they are LOUD, have a nice boggeresque hum to them if they have any real amount of tread on 'em.
You must be registered for see images

There's also a 11.00R16 which is about 38x11 in the XL, and the XML, IIRC, it's 385/75R16.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I want tall tires and 44" is good so 46 is better....I could go 53" but I would need Rockwells for sure.

I am considering these very seriously or at least this size I should say.

At 240lbs ea. though its a tad heavy for unsprung weight. Thats without a rim of course.

As for gearing well I'll work that out in time. First need my D60 front minimum maybe a rockwell who knows.

I like the tread and I figure that with the amount of ex military it's cheap tires considering they are around $1000 ea. new I suspect.

Watched some vids on Utube of people running tires like this and yes they are stiff but aired down they do bulge and provide a nice footprint.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
yea, hope you don't rock crawl or spin...ever. i can see massive damage from a D60 trying to turn them anywhere but a level surface, and power will probably be non-existant unless you're running 7.17's in the rear w/ a 4:1 t-case and a 6.32:1 granny low first..... cookoo

-Jon

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yea, hope you don't rock crawl or spin...ever. i can see massive damage from a D60 trying to turn them anywhere but a level surface, and power will probably be non-existant unless you're running 7.17's in the rear w/ a 4:1 t-case and a 6.32:1 granny low first..... cookoo

-Jon

I actually have my NP 205 and a reduction box from a NP 203 that are to get mated for a 1:1, 2:1 and 4:1 but that will be a while before I am ready to install that setup.

As for the granny gear ya I agree...I have a T19 4sp for the diesel engine so that should be sweet!

The D60 should be ok with alloy axles and 35 spline outers. IF I CAN GET ONE!

As I said I would do rockwells but they are prohibitively expensive for me. I would love to get my hands on two steering units but one steer and one regular would do if need be. I can always add rear steer another day.

One fellow here has a set of rockwells and his price is fair, just shipping from Eastern US to WA would suck for me. He did mention he planned on moving to WA next year so who knows...D60 for now...work out some suspension etc then upgrade to Rockwells...:D :D