Fuel Tank Shower Head

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
For some time this forum has discussd the broken with our fuel tank suction heads (known as the shower head) breaking off and the last 1/4 tank of fuel can't be sucked out. So here is what they look like. They are about 3 inches tall where they slip on the metal suction line. They actually touch the bottom of the tank but have the small feet all around them so they do not suck down to the bottom. The most difficult problem replacing them is easy access especially the rear tank. Usually we recommend ned removal or cut a hole in the bed. Some have even made a door in the bed for easy reach. There is plenty of information on how to drop the rear tank. Remember if you decide to drop it the tank will be heavy because it still has 1/4 tank of fuel. It also will be difficult to handle because as we all know. Gravity sucks and the fluid will slosh where ever it wants unbalancing the tank. Once you drop the tank please take all the fuel out before reinstalling it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251671756203?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Are these shower heads any better than the factory installed ones as far as resistant materials? I've been thinking of picking 2 up since I can't seem to find a "sock" sump filter that will clamp to a hose and not a in tank module.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
rear tank:

not to mention trying to maneuver the fill hose
along with the lines and the sender.

if you remove the tank, make sure to loosen both hose clamps on the filler tube and pull the metal tube out of the bed first.
another thing i learned is if you place the jack on the passenger side of the tank, the drivers side will somewhat be supported by the fill hose

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my humble opinion, I would never put one these factory showerheads in one of my fuel tanks ever again. I saw what the originals turned into (a million little bity-bits of black plastic) and won't risk that again. Ever wonder why we all have so many fuel selector valve problems? Perhaps some of them are caused by those little bits of showerhead plastic. Here are pics of my stainless steel version of the showerhead:
You must be registered for see images attach

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
You can also just put a piece of fuel hose with a V cut in it right? Or am I thinking of something else?

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can also just put a piece of fuel hose with a V cut in it right? Or am I thinking of something else?

Yup, many on here just have a piece of hose with a v-cut in the end so it doesn't suck itself tight to the bottom of the tank. Simple and it works. @Knuckledragger made an awesome billet aluminum showerhead

MTKirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quote Originally Posted by Waystro View Post

Yep, I took it one step further & used a piece of nylon fuel line with an angle cut at the bottom. I'm sure it will never rot, & there is no hose clamp to fail.

Attachments

• nylonPickup.jpg
    nylonPickup.jpg
    278.8 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my humble opinion, I would never put one these factory showerheads in one of my fuel tanks ever again. I saw what the originals turned into (a million little bity-bits of black plastic) and won't risk that again. Ever wonder why we all have so many fuel selector valve problems? Perhaps some of them are caused by those little bits of showerhead plastic. Here are pics of my stainless steel version of the showerhead:

Hmmm..... that gives me an idea.... I bet aluminum would work dandy and I just happen to have a buddy wanting to play with his tig welder.....

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Looks like someone had a better use for a black funnel and a few rivets... Nice idea. Should be in the stickies.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thing is tho is you don't really want any metallic substance rubbing against the bottom of the tank. I even wonder about the stock shower-head rubbing; I've seen it many times where a rubber line will wear through steel. I'd vote for fine-tuning the depth of whatever method you use, to minimize rubbing on the tank and wearing through it...

Could be I'm way off though too LOL LOL

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good point.... hmmm... more thinking.... maybe a Teflon shower head or strainer... I highly doubt fuel would eat it over time.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thing is tho is you don't really want any metallic substance rubbing against the bottom of the tank. I even wonder about the stock shower-head rubbing; I've seen it many times where a rubber line will wear through steel. I'd vote for fine-tuning the depth of whatever method you use, to minimize rubbing on the tank and wearing through it...

Could be I'm way off though too LOL LOL

yeah, I thought about the issue of wearing through the tank as well. I decided to use aluminum rivets to attach the screen to the funnel, rather than the stainless rivets I had orginally planned to use. My theory was that the aluminum would be softer than the steel tank and would wear rather than the tank. As it is, I set the funnel just slightly above the bottom of the tank, but it could still touch I suppose. Well, bu the time the rivets wear through the bottom of the tank the tank will probably be rusted out anyway. Anyway that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.LOL

needlenose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used copper sheet metal to make mine. That way I could just solder everything together. I also reused the existing plastic screen from the original shower head. It's attached to the fuel pickup using a compression fitting. So everything is rigid, no flopping around. The head extends down to about 1/8" off the bottom. It's been working great since I installed it. Seems like I got the copper and fittings at Lowes for around $10.

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?68626-Fuel-selector-valve

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used copper sheet metal to make mine. That way I could just solder everything together. I also reused the existing plastic screen from the original shower head. It's attached to the fuel pickup using a compression fitting. So everything is rigid, no flopping around. The head extends down to about 1/8" off the bottom. It's been working great since I installed it. Seems like I got the copper and fittings at Lowes for around $10.

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?68626-Fuel-selector-valve

needlenose - I checked out the photo of your copper showerhead - nice job!

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many gallons is the rear tank supposed to take? My gauge seems accurate. Goes from full to empty then I run out of fuel but I can only get 15.5 gallons in it.