Considering 19.5" wheel - I'd like to hear your experience

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm building a budget / plan for changing my final drive ratio ('93 DRW IDIT CC ZF5) and I'd appreciate, greatly, input from our members with experience running the 19.5" wheel / tire.

My concerns are:
  • (More) rigid ride
  • Balancing.
  • Effects on braking

I'm also curious as to the claimed 2 to 4 times more tread life from commercial tires Vs. LT tires.

Thank you,
Kizer

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
I've been running a set of Vision wheels in 19.5 with some 225's that were bought used and regrooved/re-siped.

They are stable and capable of carrying near dually loads. Great for when we are loaded for bear.

Downsides are:
1. Heavier tires take more energy to accelerate and stop.
2. The design is pizza cutter width plus a stiff carcass so you don't get any floatation in sand and they tend to not perform well at all off pavement.
3. It may just be my tires, but wet braking distances are much longer.
4. Most manufacturers don't recommend running less than 65-70 psi; this makes the empty ride a good bit harsher than a regular LT tire.

Last edited:

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I ran the Visions on the back of my van for a few years. 245/70R19.5. 4800# tire on a 4500# rated rim IIRC. Triangle TR689A rubber.

Firmed up the ride, and reduced sway, which was good because of how heavy it was. Didn't notice braking to change much. I did run powerstop rotors rotors on the front. A little more sluggish to get rolling due to the 30 -> 33" tire change.

I'd be hesitant to run them on an empty pickup, especially DRW. Would be a hard ride and struggle with traction. My brother went to 20" on his '06 dually after trying 19.5's for a while. Gentler tires available.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86