Condensation

Ottoparts

Whoa, that was fun!
Reaction score
Are 7.3's suppose to have condensation coming from the tail pipe when they are cold (first morning start up) ? I have noticed that the last couple of days mine seems to have some coming out for about the first mile.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I havent ever seen like a stream come out of mine. Is it putting out white smoke during this?

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All vehicles have condensation that can puddle water in the muffler. I wouldn't worry about it but if you really want to feel better about it, you could get some litmus strips and see if there is water present in your exhaust when it's up to operating temperature.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Or maybe use some SCA test strips, just to test the water for SCA's. If it has them in it, I think you might be in trouble :D Could be cavitation.

Ottoparts

Whoa, that was fun!
Reaction score
I have already checked for SCA's. Good there. I even added more to be safe. Its only first thing in the morning on the first start up. It doesn't puddle up or anything. Just looks like your typical gas engine on a cold morning. I don't see it at idle, but when I take off I see it for about the first mile. Then its gone. It has been both cold and rainy here. Hmmm.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I have already checked for SCA's. Good there. I even added more to be safe. Its only first thing in the morning on the first start up. It doesn't puddle up or anything. Just looks like your typical gas engine on a cold morning. I don't see it at idle, but when I take off I see it for about the first mile. Then its gone. It has been both cold and rainy here. Hmmm.

LOL I was kinda joking as if to tell you to test the water coming out the exhaust for SCA'a :D

sootman73

Reaction score
well any combustion engine will produce water in the vapor form. its the chemistry of the process. if there is more hydrogen and oxygen than what is being used then there will be more vapor byproducts. both my trucks have done this before. it doesn't know because i put in enough fuel to use the oxygen!

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does your truck have a bigger exhaust? Also i wouldn't worry too much about it, my truck hasn't ever done it, but i just figured that the air coming out of my truck was so dry it sucked it all up. But i did see a brand new cummins do the exact same thing, so don't loose sleep over it.

Ottoparts

Whoa, that was fun!
Reaction score
My truck still have the stock exhaust, for now anyway. When I put the turbo on, then I will be stepping up to 4" exhaust. Thanks all for the insight.