Complete door hinges vs hinge kits?

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any opinions. The upper hinge on the driver's door is getting loosy-goosy and I see LMC truck has both. I'm not really clear on what the hinge kit has in it?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes. Thats what comes in the repair kit. Both of my front doors broke the spring that holds the door open so I bought new hinges. Well after installing the drivers side dorr and all the trouble I had doing that I said hell no for the wifeys side door.. Sucks to be her I guess.. I never ride on that side anyway...:eek::D And thats another reason I'm going to hell faster every day.. Oh well...:dunno

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes. Thats what comes in the repair kit. Both of my front doors broke the spring that holds the door open so I bought new hinges. Well after installing the drivers side dorr and all the trouble I had doing that I said hell no for the wifeys side door.. Sucks to be her I guess.. I never ride on that side anyway...:eek::D And thats another reason I'm going to hell faster every day.. Oh well...:dunno
Let me just say...replacing that FOCKING DOOR SPRING is a royal PITA!

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i thought the hinge kit is just a couple of bushings and a pin
Yup that's it...and an easy job > while performing the task, I used a floor jack to hold the door-up.;Sweet
But don't get me started about replacing that focking door spring > grrrrrr :frustrate

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
:D:angel:I didn't replace "just " that fake *** spring. I replaced the complete hinge.. thats what kicked my butt big time even with a floor jack... I wont do another hinge thats for certain.. Thats why the wifeys side has never been repaired.. she can just hold it open or hop fast getting in...:eek:

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They make a kit that replaces the spring. It bolts on under one of the hinge bolts. You might be able to get it through the door opening with the door open. I didn't think it was that rough, but I might have had my fenders off at the time. :D

I would suggest doing the pin kits with the bushings and pins versus new hinges. Hinges would need to be painted and are going to be a royal pain to replace because bolt access isn't great and aligning the door after a hinge change will be tough.

Last edited:

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
Hinge kit, I just put one on, and now my door closes like a dream. No more door sag.

Besides Keep it simple first, hinge kit will cost ya like 10 bucks at most

sassyrel

Reaction score
and pre oil the bronze bushings,,before you put them in the hinge,then reoil them after assm...thats why they wear in the first place,,no lube!!!

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
The doorman ones are already injected with oil, I don't think they can really absorb more oil

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, gents. Pin kit it is. And you are right, lubrication is important. That is one area where I have been neglectful of that truck. Can't blame anyone else because I've owned it since almost new!