cold starting your truck

93fordturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck in 0 degree weather has started extremely well compared to the others i have had. I cycle plugs once and crank for 3 or 4 seconds and touch the gas a little and it pops right up. Never plugged it in yet. Knock on wood

Black dawg

Reaction score
If you are already seeing some results from a cleaning procedure like that, then you need to get on some of that Auto RX. You will be amazed at what that stuff will do for that engine ;Sweet Don't do anymore of what you did and make sure you get all of it flushed out. ATF has no business in your engine. THey used to use it for cleaning out engines before teardowns, and then someone on the internet started spreading the rumor that it was OK to use it as a flush, big no-no.

well My mix of stuff was probably about 2qts and after being put in through the glow plug holes, the oil level on the dipstick came up less than 1/2qt in the 24 hrs. and the oil was changed. while I see no harm in the way I have done this, I wouldnt suggest it to anyone else, as its very messy. there is also the risk of hydrolock, and its never a good idea to add anything to the cylinder in a diesel.

Black dawg

Reaction score
RLDSL, I am very interested in trying auto rx. Has anybody done before/after compression test?

jam sandwich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, its finally gotten chilly here in Central FL (<40 deg)
I was dreading the startup of my truck in cold weather, but to my astonishment, it seems to fire up even easier when it's cold out cookoo
I'll get a vid up of how it acts in the morning.
Typical 12 sec GP time, crank w/ half throttle and within 3-4 seconds its running :D
Truck has 191k miles.. doesnt smoke AT ALL (retarded timing?) It emits just a small white puff @ startup
I had to replace the vac pump this weekend, the cold weather must've killed the bearing. Talk about piece of cake.. the pulley was a pita, but borrowing the puller was free.

Last edited:

fields_mj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, its finally gotten chilly here in Central FL (<40 deg)
I was dreading the startup of my truck in cold weather, but to my astonishment, it seems to fire up even easier when it's cold out cookoo
I'll get a vid up of how it acts in the morning.
Typical 12 sec GP time, crank w/ half throttle and within 3-4 seconds its running :D
Truck has 191k miles.. doesnt smoke AT ALL (retarded timing?) It emits just a small white puff @ startup
I had to replace the vac pump this weekend, the cold weather must've killed the bearing. Talk about piece of cake.. the pulley was a pita, but borrowing the puller was free.

That's not chilly! It's just not hot :D

jam sandwich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hahaha. your partially right. But for a florida native who was born and raised in miami, its cold enough for me :D.
I sure do wish I had a non leaky heater core about now..

fields_mj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I got back from lunch it was 18. The truck starts pretty quick if I have her plugged in over night. She started at lunch in about 7 or 8 seconds which is pretty good since I have a few bad glow plugs. Lately I've had to crank her 3 or 4 times for 10 sec at a time to get her to start. I'm trying to install a bypass so that I can get the remaining plugs to actually cycle for more than a second or two. I think that will help a ton. I landed the ground wire to the frame under the truck at lunch in the parking lot at Oreilly's. I had to do it bare handed in order to be able to hand onto the nut and the bolt. That sucked. I have the switch, but I'm going to have to make a few alterations to the dash to get it to fit right. I landed the wires on it, and taped it up so that it doesn't short out on anything while it lays on the floor by the gear shift. Tonight I hope to get the air filter and houseing off so that I can land the other wire on the controller.

All that being said, I wish it were like this all winter long. I like the cold weather and the snow, but I hate the 35 degrees and mud/slush that we normally get.

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
Started my truck this morning, 8* wind chill. Took two tries to get it started with new glow plugs. is it normal at these temperatures to take a couple tries to get it going?

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Started my truck this morning, 8* wind chill. Took two tries to get it started with new glow plugs. is it normal at these temperatures to take a couple tries to get it going?

Its been in the teens here the past few days and starting my truck has been almost impossible, i think i went threw a case of ether in 2 days:rotflmao

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score

All depends on what shape your plugs are in and how good your compression is, and if your injectors are holding tight.

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
Possibly my injectors are old, and the algae problem I have. My plugs are brand new

Also is it normal for my controller to buzz?

milightfo

BLACK SMOKE
Reaction score
26*degrees at my house this morning didnt even try to start with out a shot of either,a little shot and she fired right up,me and my truck agree,its florida not supposed to be this cold.lol

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
26*degrees at my house this morning didnt even try to start with out a shot of either,a little shot and she fired right up,me and my truck agree,its florida not supposed to be this cold.lol

Im having some air intrusion problems at the moment so that makes my cold start worse, and the 89 it just dont like to crank at all it really hates me in the mornings:D

milightfo

BLACK SMOKE
Reaction score
next week supposed to be even colder,i might not shut it off just let it idle all night.:sly

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online