Cold Starting... Is this normal???

MandolinMan

Reaction score
Hello all,

As I mentioned in a previous forum, when I bought my '88 F250 it would only start on ether. So far I've replaced the glow plugs (with motorcraft ZD-9's) as well as the relay and controller. So far this winter I've made sure to plug up the block heater night before I needed to use it. With the block heater, it will start in about .5 to 2 seconds. Even down to the single digits just fine.

Well I wanted to try a cold start just to know if it would start when not plug in. 16 degrees this morning. The wait to start light stayed on for about 14-16 seconds. turned the starter over for about six seconds, little white smoke but didn't fire. Cycled the glow plugs again, this time the light stayed on for about 8 seconds. Turned it over for about 8-10 seconds and it fired up.

Just wondering if this is about as good as cold starting an IDI gets? Wondering how cold starting your fellows IDI compare in similar temperatures?

Also wondering about 'ether addiction'. The farmer I bought it from had been using a small shot of ether to start it for the last year to two. I've read on a few forums that prolonged ether usage tends to create a harder starting ether addicted engine. Just wondering if this is part of my hard starting issue. Even on days in the 40's and 50's it doesn't start good unless it is plugged in.

Anyway, just wanting a few opinions, Thanks.

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
Check for air intrusion.

"Ether addiction" is from destroying the glow plugs. Ether will stick to the glow plugs and when they get hot, it basically ceramic coats them and they overheat and burn out. Simplified version of what really happens, but it's the easiest way to explain it.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If he had air intrusion, it would not start in .5 to 2 seconds with the block heater plugged in. It started in two tries, so that's not too bad. If I remember correctly, I read somewhere that Ford designed the glowplug system to reliably start the engine down to 10F.

firehawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds fine to me. Seems like a little longer to start that mine, but not enough so I would worry about it. Just keep the heater plugged in when you can.

MandolinMan

Reaction score
Yes, below 32 degrees it says to put the pedal on the floor. Above 32 depress pedal halfway.

Defrocked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check your return lines for any wet spots including the return line to the tank,from the lift pump and filter head...Also check the the hard line from filter head to injection pump,inside the hard line at both end there are rubber seals (olives) by the nuts that can dry up and allow air in.There is also one more from lift pump to filter head also that is also in a hard line.I had similar symptoms and the olives fixed my hard start.Low 40's in the mornings and cranks right up no problem,better than my old 6.0 powerchoke that I had!!

N.E fjord-by-fjord 2fiddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How's your battery/cables/starter situation? I started with air intrusion as well. Which I did have/do have... But I eventually wound up replacing the starter, and cleaning all the wires/terminals up... I had thought my batteries were dead, as it was that bad. After the install/cleaning, and with the block heater on it for less than 1 hr in 5 degree weather, it ROARED to life. The difference was night and day. Worth it for $100, and an hour or two laying on the frozen ground...

Still looking for that friggin' air too... :mad:

At the peak of my issues, I'd have KILLED for your start time.... :) Could be way worse!

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Timing, batteries and a fast spinning starter makes a big difference also. My old ugly 86 lights off just after I hit the key.

With everything else up to *****, I think timing plays a big factor in how these things start when cold. Seems like I've heard mention that too advanced or retarded, not sure which one, makes it harder to start.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont care what the sticker on the visor says, I'm not a big fan of reving a cold, dry engine on startup. Once you turn the key on and set the fast idle with the pedal, that should be plenty when you hit the starter. Even if the engine stumbles for a few seconds, let it get some oil pressure and just lightly give it a little throttle to even itself out.

Oog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oog's 89 7.3 turbo sounds like oog on a cold morning. Fires on 4 cylinders or so, stumbles, farts, belches amd falls back asleep. One more gp cycle and you cam finally get a half decent idle. Always fires, plugged in or not

MandolinMan

Reaction score
Forgot to mention that I did put a new starter on it just a few weeks ago. That really seemed to help things as its turning over much faster. Had the batteries both tested and they were fine. If its been running for a while and I shut it off ( say to grab something in the store) it fires up pretty quick without waiting for the glow plugs.

MandolinMan

Reaction score
Oh, one more question about cold starts. Is it normal to blow white smoke for a few minutes until it gets warmed up?? I'm guessing it is just wanted to make sure. Don't want to change the subject of my original post, but can someone explain the difference to me between black and white smoke with diesel engines?