Cold Start 7.3L IDI

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to post this for all those people that think an IDI engine is hard to start in the cold.

No either, no block heater, first attempt at starting in at least a week, 5*F or less outside and frozen over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SFW3IydPx8

It's got at least a half inch of ice all over it, I had a hard time trying to get the door opened up just get in it to start it.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I know mine fires right off at 8 deg on 1 cycle of the plugs without being plugged in no problem, but it is a fresh engine :D

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Man those sound gooood!:thumbsup:

Dang batteries in Goldie have about had it and she didn't want to play fair the other day.:backoff

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine starts but not quite that gracefully. It tries to die when I start it cold, so I have to rev it to 1500 rpm until the idle settles. Is there something with my timing if I have to do this?

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nice. where'd you get that mopar soundin starter? :)

This is the same as mine:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORD-TRUCK-7-3-6-9-CASE-LOADER-DIESEL-STARTER_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2em20Q2el1116QQitemZ200140077881QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
But I got mine from DB Electrical, its the Nippo Denso, I got mine for $109 with free shipping. It really whirls the engine over, it turns it over even faster when it is not freezing outside. When I bought mine I had it within 2 days so I am very pleased with their service.
Some people will argue you that the Ndenso starter is harder to install, but my truck had a mitsubishi on it before and I had it off a couple times trying to get it to work right and this new starter was much easier to fit up in there and install, I would reccomend it to anyone, and the price isn't bad either.

I probably wouldn't have had to cycle my glow plugs twice for it to start, but it starts so good that way when it is this cold, so I just go ahead and do it.

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
I replaced my glow plugs with new Motorcraft back in Oct 07 & the main battrey is a red top Optima. Secondary is an old Duralast gold top that's about 9 years old. Winter #2 & still no issues. :D

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I probably wouldn't have had to cycle my glow plugs twice for it to start, but it starts so good that way when it is this cold, so I just go ahead and do it.

Ah, you cheater, that's why she fired up so easy - at -2 on a single glow mine started like Cat Rebel's truck, double-glow and she fired right up. My starter is halfway dead tho, my #6 injector was loose (again!), and my pump was turned down till back then, haven't tried starting without the heater since, but it should be better I'd imagine...

spyder1100

Reaction score
That's the same starter I have. It kinda scared me this first time I hit it with that one on. Spins alot faster than stock. Deffinately would recommend getting it instead of the Mitsu.