Cold Engine Power Surge???

Skidmark

Reaction score
Okay, i know this is going to sound dumb, but i really don't know what's going on. when i start my rig for the first time each day i let it warm up for a good while. then, i hop in, put it in first and start driving. then as i'm just about to shift into second, for no apparent reason, my rig feels like a rocket flew up it's butt and i'm flooring the accelerator. the RPM's soar and i'm all of a sudden driving much faster in first than i would like to go. then, as quickly as it started it stops and doesn't happen again until the engine is completely cold. seems really bad for the engine and i don't like any rapid random acceleration. can anyone tell me what the **** is going on? it has a turbo and a 5 speed if that helps. the accelerator does not feel stuck. its more like the engine snorted a load of coke.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It probably won't hurt the motor, it could be 1 of 2 or a combination of both things... 1) air leak...air will cause a power surge...surges the RPM just as if you were about to run out of fuel...2) Cold timing advance is still on. You said you let it warm up...but for how long....till it idles down? If not this is ataste of advanced timing. It won't(I don't believe) hurt the engine unless you just hammer it like that with a big load on it. Almost for sure a return leak is part of your culprit, air leaks also slightly advance the timing by restricting fuel supply from what I have read.

Skidmark

Reaction score
i let it run about 5-10 minutes before driving. is that enough? is the cold timing advance where it idles higher when cold? if so, my rig doesn't have that. in fact, i have to manually keep the rpms up at first or else they will be too low.

as far as the air leak, i noticed some cracks in the return fuel lines the other day. could that be it? i hope its that simple because i was planning to get a return line kit in the next day or two.

suv7734

Reaction score

as far as the air leak, i noticed some cracks in the return fuel lines the other day.

Bingo!
Get the kit, take your time, install the top o-ring first and lube 'em up before you put the new caps on.;Sweet
On another note how full was your fuel tank when the 'locomotive hit you in the tailgate'?

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
My low mile truck, the brown one, does this too unless you let it warm up A LONG time.
Could be an air leak at the water separator. I dont really know if it would be at the injectors, because normally if there is air there it rattles and crap right away, not a mile down the road.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's an air leak. Don't ignore it, cause it will only get worse.