Full Access Member
Reaction score
all the 11" kits are for trucks with the 8TH digit of vin is M
12" kits 8th digit is C until 94 where 12 is K and F is 13

Does this sound right?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your truck should be a "K" code engine. The "K" was for a factory turbo IDI in '94 and the F was for a 1st gen PSD. The C likewise was for a factory turbo IDI. I think this info suggests you should use the 12" clutch. The "M" engines were 7.3 N/A IDIs and in case you ever wanted to know "1" was the code for the 6.9.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You won't know until you get in there. :puke: The Moose Truck was built with a 12" clutch, but runs an 11" because that's what FoMoCo specified as a replacement part. :rolleyes:

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not my truck, friends 90 250. I told him to pull it out first to see what he has, but he found that info on a website for replacement clutches.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
When I was poking round getting info for my clutch on my "M" rig, IIRC, Ford had a 12" disc available, but the flywheel had to be designed/sized for 12".....wait a min, that kinda sounds wrong.....don't remember.
Maybe it was upgraded 12" DMF with 12" disc:dunno

My original DMF flywheel only would accept an 11" disc though...that I DO remember. I wound up going 12"SMF & disc.
I did find a spring dampened dic at FoMoCo(I like way Mel says FoMoCo instead of Ford...):D

Diesel JD...where you guys find all this info for deciphering different codes on such stuff?? IE: what it means.
Clutches, "M, C,K" engines, axles, springs, etc,etc

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everything I know I learned here or on the Diesel Stop before many of the good folks left there and came here.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not hard to upgrade, but technically you should have the flywheel turned due to the rust outside the 11" disc area.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So can a 12" clutch be instsalled on a flywheel that had an 11"? I thought they were different?

I took the flywheel to a local shop to resurface it like Mel said. Cheap and quick. No need to get a new flywheel for the upgrade. I'm using a 6.9 flywheel behinde my 7.3 with the T19 tranny. It simple bolted right up to the stock flywheel.

Heath

2manydsls

Reaction score
final answer?

So the holes on the flywheel work with either the 11 or 12 inch pressure plates? Or are there two sets of mounting holes? :confused:
Ross

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
the holes are the same. it's a direct bolt on (at least the LUK 12" clutch i bought was). just make sure you have the flywheel resurfaced.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
Your truck should be a "K" code engine. The "K" was for a factory turbo IDI in '94 and the F was for a 1st gen PSD. The C likewise was for a factory turbo IDI. I think this info suggests you should use the 12" clutch. The "M" engines were 7.3 N/A IDIs and in case you ever wanted to know "1" was the code for the 6.9.
Just curious & asking but where is "C" listed somewhere?
Looking at the LMC VIN ID site pg11, I see "1,M,F,K" thru those yrs '83-'96, but no "C"

Ironman;So can a 12" clutch be instsalled on a flywheel that had an 11"? I thought they were different?
Like I say, my '90 had the DMF & it was only drilled for a 11". I don't know about others.
That Dampened disc I mentioned earlier that I found at Ford was a 11"...don't know what else they have.