Pressure Plate to Flywheel:
10" Disk = 15-20
11" Disk = 20-29
12" Disk = 15-20
Flywheel to Crankshaft = 47

adtman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man, I am just about to cry...LOL I crawl under there to put the flywheel on. I dbl check that rear main that I just installed....and I'll be an SOB if I didn't pinch the sorry SOB!!!!! GEEZ! This truck is becoming my nemisis...LOL It might get a sign on it tomorrow that says, "FREE TO GOOD HOME!" on it.....

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Give me a call with you're address and let me fill up my truck then hook onto my triaxle I'll come take her off your hands.

Diesel Max

93 F-250 4X4 - 7.3
Reaction score
When I did the rear main in my 93 F250, I went with the Ford factory seal. After all I heard about how much the rear main was a PIA and all the suggestions to go with the Ford factory part on this particular repair, I did. Went on pretty easy and no leaks......... :D

adtman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine was bought from Ford. It is a factory motorcraft for part...LOL RJJP, this is sa good time for, "Hide and seek"...LMAO! I will start with Tulsa, OK. I may give you the address tomorrow.... especially if I don't find a new seal. AAARRRGGGGHHHH!!

Diesel Max

93 F-250 4X4 - 7.3
Reaction score
Mine was bought from Ford. It is a factory motorcraft for part...LOL RJJP, this is sa good time for, "Hide and seek"...LMAO! I will start with Tulsa, OK. I may give you the address tomorrow.... especially if I don't find a new seal. AAARRRGGGGHHHH!!

Hang in there ............... I don't think there is one forum member that has not been where you are at right now with a repair gone bad and been frustrated beyond belief. -cuss Once the repairs are done and your driving down the road in that truck you will forget about how bad it was........;Sweet
You will beat this !!!!!!! :backoff

adtman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know right! Thanks man, you have the identical truck to mine. LOL Aren't they so sweet! I can't wait to get that ole' girl growling again! LOL Mine has 260 on the clock though. It is still pretty decent really. I am very proud to own this truck. I wanted it because I could work on it. I actually do enjoy working on it. It just griped me to waste 62 bux for a seal that takes 3 days to get here...LOL Oh well she is just going to have to learn who is boss in this relationship! LOL

Diesel Max

93 F-250 4X4 - 7.3
Reaction score
Yep...... I bought the truck for the same reason. Most everything is mechanical, very little electronics and much easier to diagnose, troubleshoot and repair then the PSD. Also Cheaper to repair in most cases then the PSD.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If it's a rubber seal( when you get another one) go to Wendys and buy a large and medium soda ( sorry, can't remember off the top of my head which one fits this engine, but you will be able to tell when you get it there ), after emptying the cups, cut the lip offand fit it over the end of the crank. You will use this as an installer tool. Grease the snot out of the cup and then slide the new seal in it's housing plate over the cup and onto the crank. Once you have a couple of bolts in place, wigle the cup gently out and you will have your seal in with no folded over or torn edges ;Sweet

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
also, slaves might be failing due to incorrect throuwout bearing from a previous clutch change. Might be too long a unit causing binding or improper shape to match the pressure plate fingers
If you don't have sufficient free play when the new assembly is in place, you may need an adjustable clutch rod( available from Napa for around $11)

adtman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, good news is I got the new seal in flawlessly! YAY I put the flywheel up there and start tightening the bolts. I made a "star" pattern and just snugged them up really good. Then I got the torque wrench and set it to 79 ft lbs. I found that setting from a google search. Well I changed it to 70 when it was feeling too tight, I was afraid of breaking them. Only 3 clicked, it just didn't feel right. Well I broke one....dayum. Now what? Geez, help me guys....help me I am so drowning here...... I am using the new bolts that came with the clutch kit.

John

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it broke off in the crankshaft? I would be more worried about it being out of balance with one bolt broken than I would be strength. Although if they are all tightened this far they might all be pretty stressed. If you take the flywheel back off is there enough bolt left to attach anything to or weld something to? It would be best if you could get it out. I had luck with a left hand drill bit once to get a broken bolt out of the pumpkin cover on a wrecked axle. Not sure if that would help.

91/2 7.3idi

BarnyardFabrication
Reaction score
when i did my zf swap i broke one of the bolts off in the crank too. its been this was for about 20,000 plus miles. i cant say that it has caused any problems and im not the easiest on my truck either.

adtman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pulled the flywheel off and there was enough there to grab with a set of vice-grips and twist it out. WHEW! Well, I decided to read this thread completely...LOL and I was so wrong on the torque!!!! LOL RJJP Gave me the correct torque settings. I should have read more clearly, I did not notice he had the flywheel torque on there. LOL Hell I am blind in one eye and blonde in the other! I really appreciate the help guys! It is getting there, slow but sure. I am just going to have to slow down and take it steady by jerks!

John

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
I bought a spare motor, when I pulled the flex plate off there was a broken bolt there also. That motor had over 200K on it. ???

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online