Clutch line - is this right?

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
'85 F250 T19A, no idea on the miles. Was a farm truck until we bought it a couple years ago. The clutch hydraulic line is a flexible nylon (?) hose (see attachment). Is this right? Clutch disengages fully, since I replaced the master pushrod (adjustable) and installed a brass bushing in the eyelet. But the clutch action is not just stiff, but "rough". It feels like a cable-operated clutch with a frayed cable. Is this comparable to what was there originally, or is this some field truck hack job?

I see Dorman has a line that fits the '80-'86 trucks. Think that would help smooth out the action? I know Dorman's quality reputation is..., er..., spotty. I have yet to find a complete pre-built kit for this year truck, like they make for the OBS.

Any other ideas that would explain the rough action? Maybe I just need to put a dab of grease on the end of the slave rod where it pushes the fork. TBH, except for the in-cab work with the pushrod and grommet, I haven't looked closely at it.

Thx for any advice.

Attachments

• IDIClutchLine.jpg
    IDIClutchLine.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 88

Bashby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't remember ever seeing a red nylon line, all I've seen are black nylon. The bushings in the pedal assy and where the mc pushrOd attaches to the pedals are problem areas that would cause your rough feeling pedal.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
line is full of fluid, it wouldn't explain rough action. Crusty binding throwout bearing would, but that ain't easy to fix.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^^ Yuh, throwout was my next thought. :eek:

About the black nylon line, that's a hard nylon, right? This looks like such soft hose, that I wonder if the hose is flexing and that's taking away from some of the hydraulic action. It's not like braded flex brake line.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Black is the norm.
Newer trucks had the braided/steel line.
That looks like air brake line. Actually looking at it again, I would bet it is. Lol
The black nylon should be fairly rigid.
You can get AN fittings for both ends, to run whatever your heart (or wallet) desires.
I can get you a link, if need be.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like clear soft surgical tubing full of ATF, that shouldn't be used for any Hi pressure circuit. But that wouldn't give you what your calling a scratchy feeling. Where is the vacuum hose to the brake booster?

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Watch the firewall while someone depresses the clutch pedal. If it flexes your firewall is probably cracked (mine was). Tech articles has a thread on repairing the firewall with a reinforcement plate on the inside. This requires removal of steering column so it gets pretty involved. The throwout bearing could be dragging on the input shaft housing. The housing can wear and not be round also. The slave can be removed and the shift fork can be pulled out, and you can add a bit of grease to the housing with your hand or a screwdriver. Put some grease on the pivot ball while you are there. Putting the slave back can be a bit of a PITA.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My truck has the red nylon line as well, and I'm pretty sure it's original. I think the red nylon line was factory on '83-'86 trucks, and I guess they went to black nylon line later on. Never had any problem with it...

Also, FWIW, I've heard that OBS clutch hydraulic sets will work on earlier trucks, although I've never tried it so I can't verify it definitively...

S-west

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had an 84 f150 with the red line, my 86 has black, and I have a steel/braided one but I could not get it in properly so it's not hooked up.

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On my truck the elliptical grommet was used to route dealer installed AC lines. I should grab an unmolested one at the junkyard.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have and can produce images if needed of the different factory lines,

RED

BLACK

and

STEEL with braided stainless ends

All three are stock factory lines!

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm, I've got an old OBS master in the basement, maybe I'll try to figure out how to mount it up just as a mock-up. I forget which is which, one bolts in from the cab and one from the engine compartment, right?

I removed the brake booster line and moved it out of the way for photo clarity, by the way.