class c tires

creighta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had 3 f350s now and have always run d or e tires. I called Toyo to see if I should go ahead and run them and they said to get them off asap as they are way too light to handle tis truck even empty. Even though there is a C number on the sidewall, these are P rated tires. According to TOYO the dealer will replace them with the appropriate tire and they gave me a name and phone number to pass on to my mechanic which put them on in the first place.

I called the mechanic to tell him what was going on. his response was "Those are what I put on everyone's truck and have never had a problem before"

Sure enough, my dad's 250 has the same damn tires with the same bulging sidewalls. Looks like we will both be getting new tires next week.

Just venting now! Sorry, since these two trucks rarely leave the drive w/o a loaded trailer on the back I should just be happy we discovered this while doing routine maintenance and not because of an accident.

BTW-TOYO is a great company to deal with. A real American person answered the phone and was helpful and friendly;Sweet

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good deal. Keep us posted just in case. Promises can be cheap to make sometimes but if they come through for you then they deserve cudos.

My Toyos are about 45% left and I'm thinking to replace them with an identical set when the time comes.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
While we are talking tires, I am going to make a statement that may surprise many of you, seeing as how my family has operated a full line tire-shop since before I was born; the sign on the wall says something like "been in business for 56-years" and it may be a bit out-dated.

EVERYONE should get themselves a few tire-irons and a simple Harbor Freight bead-breaker (about $40), maybe even one of their manual changers ( I have one, just used it tonight, and they work fine ).

Then, NEVER let the tire-monkeys around your truck, PERIOD.

When any of my many wheeled vehicles need tire work, I do it MYSELF, thus I know without a doubt that it was done right. ;Sweet

I've been in the market for a decent tire machine for about 3 yrs. (I'm a cheapskate) They seem to be a very valuable piece of equipment!

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
I had a nice tire machine in my shop in MA. Funny My son would get in the shop change his friends tires ,or once in a great while I would let some fix a tire. Soon I had a pile of tires started,I told every one not to leave tireshere. Some how like magic the pile still grew. I scrapped it at the local crusher.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I had new tires put on this summer. they are toyo open country 265/75s. they looked a little low so I started to air them up today and noticed that they are only load class C tires. (2601lb max @35psi max)

I am thinking with a 7500 pound truck that doesn't leave much wiggle room for a load.
Any one else running class C tires? can't decide if I should worry about these or not?

Ok, easy on the flaming here, but here goes.

When I first bought my truck, the front tires were about DONE. Rub you hand across the computer monitor....and that's about how smooth these tires were. I peeled them off and all I had available at the time was a set od P-metric 265's. I didn't have the cash to throw new winter tires on it, as spring was JUST around the corner.

I put the 265's on it and MAN, with the plow the tires looked like they were ready to pop. I NEVER went far with it, and I NEVER went more than 35 - 40 MPH....just in snow storms to do my driveways. No more than a mile or two from home.

As soon as I could, I peeled them off and put my summer tires on it. I never realy felt safe with the P-rated tires on there.

I since got a new set of LT 235's with E rating.

I would agree with the majority and say I would be getting those tires off ASAP. You are basically running them at maximum capacity with a dry, unloaded truck.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
I cant believe the shop actually told you he puts them on everyones truck. I would put an add in the local paper warning people about that shop. That is just looking for trouble.

Glad to hear TOYO is taking care of you so well;Sweet

phazertwo

Die Summer DIE!
Reaction score
I cant believe the shop actually told you he puts them on everyones truck. I would put an add in the local paper warning people about that shop. That is just looking for trouble.

Glad to hear TOYO is taking care of you so well;Sweet

I would have to say the same. Blow outs are VERY dangerous, and that danger is just multiplied by hauling a load, and/or a trailer.

When I am inspecting the safety of my trucks (I do so about once a month on the diesel, and probably every time I get gas on my DD) I think about it this way: I think about the other people on the road, not my self. If I loose control going down I70 into Silverthorne CO (three lanes of traffic at 6 to 7% grade for about 12 miles starting at 11k ft) I could kill a few people in a second. Add bad weather conditions to that, and its a no brainer to have the people equipment on your truck to get the job done safely.

My $.02

I am glad to see that you caught the problem before it caused a blow out. Every time I get tires I check them all to make sure there are no defects, and they are all the same. I am a little **** though cookoo

pz

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a nice tire machine in my shop in MA. Funny My son would get in the shop change his friends tires ,or once in a great while I would let some fix a tire. Soon I had a pile of tires started,I told every one not to leave tireshere. Some how like magic the pile still grew. I scrapped it at the local crusher.
i make it a point to assist in loading the scrap tires back into their vehicles:D
It costs me $5 a tire in disposal fees, unless you pay, you're taking your junkers. This is on top of what the state collects for the tire recycling program.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i make it a point to assist in loading the scrap tires back into their vehicles:D
It costs me $5 a tire in disposal fees, unless you pay, you're taking your junkers. This is on top of what the state collects for the tire recycling program.

Same here.

We have the most trouble out of farmers and truckers, neither of whose tires are going to get disposed of for less than $30 apiece.

They will have the wifey in the car drop them off to get their truck or tractor and swear up and down that they will return after while in the pickup to get the junkers; :mad: they never do. -cuss

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One does not need a "machine" to change tires.

Laying on the floor with a couple of flat-ended pry-bars will get the job done in minutes.

I picked up a simple manual Harbor Freight changer at a swap-meet, even though I have several top-of-the-line machines at the shop.

Often, I can repair/change a tire here at home and save me from getting caught by customers at the shop.

I learned years ago to keep my phone-numbers a secret, gates and signs across my driveway, and NEVER EVER pull into the parking-lot at the shop when I do not intend to stay for several hours.

I think people hide in the bushes and wait to catch me there. :rolleyes:

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been in the market for a decent tire machine for about 3 yrs. (I'm a cheapskate) They seem to be a very valuable piece of equipment!

I see decent ones at swap-meets all the time for cheap.

A Coats 10-10 or 20-20 post-type changer will do anything on a 3/4- or 1-ton truck.

Common sense and care must be used on some of the more breakage-prone aluminum wheels, but who runs aluminum anyway. :dunno

phazertwo

Die Summer DIE!
Reaction score
One does not need a "machine" to change tires.

Laying on the floor with a couple of flat-ended pry-bars will get the job done in minutes.

I find breaking the bead that hardest part. Unless you are working on a set of full size weld on bead locks... biggest PIA. However I don't feel to bad that I couldn't get the tires off the bead lock with my pry bars, it broke one of wallmarts machines! :D

PZ

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
My Dad has an old machine, air powered bead breaker but manual removal and a nice bubble balancer. I can't stand letting anyone touch my vehicles.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't stand letting anyone touch my vehicles.

Me neither; maybe we need therapy. LOL

I find breaking the bead that hardest part.

With the base of a jack, either a bottle-jack or bumper-jack, placed on the tire against the rim, with the tire laying on the ground/floor under a truck-bumper, operate the jack as if you intended to lift the truck and it will push the bead loose; flip the tire over and repeat.

BOTH sides MUST be loose, before dis-mounting is attempted.

Here is an even better way :

http://www.harborfreight.com/bead-breaker-92961.html

Here is the manual changer that I have :

http://www.harborfreight.com/portable-tire-changer-34542.html

Note that the manual changer has an integral bead-breaker which is sufficient to the task; but, the separate breaker works a lot better.

The separate bead-breaker will get most in one move; whereas, when using the integral breaker on the changer, small bites must be taken, with the tire moved around a bit with each bite, gaining a little more ground with each bite, until sufficient area has been loosened to allow the bead to drop loose. ;Sweet

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats the same manual tire changer we have. We ended up having to re enforce parts of it due to some things bending.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online