class c tires

creighta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had new tires put on this summer. they are toyo open country 265/75s. they looked a little low so I started to air them up today and noticed that they are only load class C tires. (2601lb max @35psi max)

I am thinking with a 7500 pound truck that doesn't leave much wiggle room for a load.
Any one else running class C tires? can't decide if I should worry about these or not?

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
35psi max? That's a car tire...... P rated.

My cheap Uniroyal Lerado AWT's are LT265/75R16 and are C rated and 50psi max pressure.

DragRag

Reaction score
You need a D or E rated tire for sure. Get those off your truck now, they will do nothing more then carry your truck around, and they will not even do that well. To squishy for the weight of the truck, and will offer no side wall rigidity. Your are asking for plenty of troubles IMO.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Not a good tire on a crewcab diesel. they are maxed out with just the truck. I would go back to the tires store that sold them to you and raise HELL. And if they dont want to do anything i would bring up the word lawsuit

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive never seen a 6 ply "p" rated tire. dont think there is such a thing. also the tire shop can get into a lot of trouble for installing a lower rated tire on your truck

creighta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks all! My opinion too, but wasn't sure if I was overreacting. Tire shop owner is a friend, I wonder if he even realized that the wrong tires came in. Hell of it is it took me probably six months to notice

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You state "load class C "; do you mean Load Range C ??

Load Range C = equivalent to the old 6-ply rating and SHOULD be a LT classified tire.

The big problem in selling 265-75-16 size tires is that they are about the only size out there that comes in just about all of the common load ranges; P-rated = not an LT tire, therefore no LR rating, then LR-C (6-ply), LR-D (8-ply), and LR-E (10-ply); therefore there is a lot of room for confusion and mistakes are easily made.

On many occasions, I have ordered a dozen 265-75-16 LR-Es; and, when unloading them from the delivery-truck, end up with one or more P-rated or LR-Cs; sometimes it also works out the other way around, where I order four P-rated and get three and one LR-E.

It is the same problem when we are real busy and one of the less attentive guys grabs a wrong rated tire; either way, it isn't usually caught until days or even months later; the entire profit plus some is lost when that happens.

So far as a law suit, I have never heard or read of any in the many tire dealer periodicals that we get; not saying that it couldn't or hasn't happened, just that I am unaware of any actual cases.

One thing I like about good old size 235-85-16 --- I have never ever not in a million years seen one in any rating other than LR-E, so no mix-ups there.

If your tires are indeed LT265-75-16 Load Range C, and you aren't hauling a big gooseneck around, then I wouldn't sweat it; it took you quite a bit of driving to even notice the difference.

If they are P265-75-16, then I would be careful about what I hauled and see if your tire guy friend will allow you a little trade-in value toward a proper set of LR-E tires.

If the mistake is truly his, then he will most likely eat the loss and make you happy.

On the other hand, if it was purely ignorance about tires on your part, then you should be willing to suffer some loss and count it as a lesson learned. :)

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
At least go back and have a calm talk... No need to start off angry. I had a similar issue about a tire on my stant load horse trailer. I paid for a d rated radial but got a d rated bias tire. Drove about 200 miles on that and took it back. Showed the manager what was wrong and he said we can fix that. So I waited around an hour for them to chase down the correct tire. Saw the tire mechanic installing the new tire.....:eek: Same damn type tire... Manager was pissed at the workers because they couldn't care less what tire they were mounting... Another hour and finally the manager shows me two tires and asks which one I want....:hail:angel: I piont out the radial d rated tire.. Never have done any more business with that tire store.....:dunnocookoo

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At least go back and have a calm talk... No need to start off angry. I had a similar issue about a tire on my stant load horse trailer. I paid for a d rated radial but got a d rated bias tire. Drove about 200 miles on that and took it back. Showed the manager what was wrong and he said we can fix that. So I waited around an hour for them to chase down the correct tire. Saw the tire mechanic installing the new tire.....:eek: Same damn type tire... Manager was pissed at the workers because they couldn't care less what tire they were mounting... Another hour and finally the manager shows me two tires and asks which one I want....:hail:angel: I piont out the radial d rated tire.. Never have done any more business with that tire store.....:dunnocookoo

I don't blame you for wanting what you paid for and you SHOULD get what you want/pay-for. ;Sweet

That being said, I would bet you a steak dinner that that old BIAS tire would have outlasted the other three radials.

For the last several years, just about all the goose-neckers in my area ( the ones that actually buy NEW tires ) demand BIAS tires, as they see way less problems.

The only exceptions are those who are running the WANLI LR-G 7.50R-16 radials; judging by their repeat business, they seem to be well pleased. ;Sweet

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While we are talking tires, I am going to make a statement that may surprise many of you, seeing as how my family has operated a full line tire-shop since before I was born; the sign on the wall says something like "been in business for 56-years" and it may be a bit out-dated.

EVERYONE should get themselves a few tire-irons and a simple Harbor Freight bead-breaker (about $40), maybe even one of their manual changers ( I have one, just used it tonight, and they work fine ).

Then, NEVER let the tire-monkeys around your truck, PERIOD.

When any of my many wheeled vehicles need tire work, I do it MYSELF, thus I know without a doubt that it was done right. ;Sweet

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like something that they would put on an SUV or other suburbia-mobile.

I have open country toyos on my F250 but they are the correct load range and profile for my truck. Too bad you got the wrong load range because I've been very happy with mine.

I do take advantage of the free rotation but never leave the truck out of my sight when they work on it. So far they have been good though. Young guys like me, but they seem to care.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online