Choosing a Diesel for my Ford

BigNorm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey. This is my first post so have mercy on my soul. I'm currious to know which Diesel/drivetrain would bolt in easiest into my truck, an 1986 Ford Bronco. I'd also like to know the pros and cons of such a swap. I'm no stranger to modification yet this would be my first Diesell swap.

I'm currently running a 351W,C6,NP208, D60 HP (welded out of an 88F350), and a 14 bolt rear with a Detroit locker. My gearing in these axles is 5.13:1

I know alot of that has nothing to do with motor. I just want to kind of give you my background and what I've done to the truck so far. I've always loved oil burners and a bud on Fullsizebronco.com pointed me in your dirrection for diesell questions. Thanx in advance for any help you can give. ;Sweet NORM

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
Your 86 Bronco has a 1/2 ton suspension. IMO you biggest hurdle will be beefing up the front end (springs and shocks) to accommodate the weight of the diesel you plan on installing.

$.02

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
BigNorm :cheers: and welcome to OB ;Sweet

6.9 diesel bronc linky

We have a member- Agnem ;Sweet who has done just that :hail

Altho a 6.9/7.3 in your Bronc may be a tad nose heavy for rock crawlin :eek: .....you might consider a inline 4 :thumbsup:

Enjoy your new found home for diesels ;Sweet

BigNorm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oooh oooh! An inline 4? Who makes it? Where can it be found. Agnem is who referred me to this site. I saw what he did and I liked the idea and concept. For what I like to do motors that can run underwater (Given the intake and exhaust are above said water are cool! Weight is a definate issue. I was looking at pics of Agnems 6.9 and was thinking, "My god that thing is a monster! I had heard that Mercedes was making a 5 cyl diesell too. 4 would be better. I'm revvin like 3000 rpm right now on the highway at 50 mph with my 351W so speed is definately not an issue. Thanx for the response!

BigNorm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hheynow said:
Your 86 Bronco has a 1/2 ton suspension. IMO you biggest hurdle will be beefing up the front end (springs and shocks) to accommodate the weight of the diesel you plan on installing.

$.02
Actually I'm running rear leafs front and rear. In the front I'm currently running an F350 main leaf with the Bronco pack underneath. If I did this mod I would mix and match untill I achieved where I wanted to go with this. The only thing half ton left on my truck is the motor/trans/tcase. Thanx for your input though.

BigNorm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where can it be found? Dodge I imagine. What years. I'm totally new to all this.

Roland_Jenkins

Señor Member
Reaction score
You can find the engine in older landcruisers, retired Frito lay vans etc. Some use the NV4500 & NP241 transfercase.

If your really serious about doing the swap or what to ask somebody that has all ready done a similar swap, I'd check out pirate4x4