charging help

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I said this in the other current charging thread pun intended too btw

Some alternators need to rev to make power...simple nuff...not all do 13.5 + at idle, as a matter of fact more don't than do in my previous experience....

Now a 3 G usually produces good current right outta the gate.

my observations only...others may have differing experiences.

sublime8396

Reaction score
So tested today and i was mistaken its 11.4 volts at idle then 14.5 anythong over 1000rpm but right back to 11 after i let off. Its driving great got most of the bugs worked out but watching the charge gauge on the dash bugs me. Its about middle of factory gauge while driving but at stop light or coasting drops way down. Im a diehard car guy i built my rat rod from gound up and this thing really has me stumped .......

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you have a current draw somewhere or a dead cell in a battery. Did you check the batteries individually with them unhooked and connected? 11.x is pretty low unless the batteries are flat from messing around.

sublime8396

Reaction score
Both are new there huge semi batteries 850cca im sure it was alittle low from radio and i put a switch to my high idle solenoid to help with cold starts and run my on board air faster.

catodd

Reaction score
I had the same problem on my 92'. I installed fresh batteries, new alternator, new regulator. My fix was running a ground wire from the ground post on the alternator to one of the regulator mounting hardware, seems regulator was not grounding well to chassis.

sublime8396

Reaction score
Awesome ill give that a shot tomorrow. Got a rock crawling trip coming up and im excited to use my new truck to haul my cab over and crawler on a trailer.

sublime8396

Reaction score
More interested in any charging lol and the gm 1 wire is easy to hook up and never had one let me down so far the ford charging system has been nothing but trouble and a money pit that only charges at 1500rpm and up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance