Changing from a C-6 to a ZF S5-42 manual trans w/hydraulic clutch in a E-350 w/6.9

PCausey

Reaction score
OK Ford friends I have a tech question for you. I installed my new brake pedal support with attached clutch pedal in my '85 E-350. I think the salvage yard I bought it from might have shipped me an assembly from a '84 or older though but with nothing to compare it to I can't tell for sure. Modifying the lever arm under the dash is no big deal but I need to make sure I get the correct stroke for the hydraulic master cylinder. Measured on the bench the potential full range stroke for the master cylinder is 1.75". My lever arm only provides approx 1" of stroke at it's current length. I can do the math and calculate how far that will move the piston in the slave cylinder based on bore diameter and fluid volume. What I'm not sure about is just how much travel I need from teh slave cylinder to engage the clutch on a ZF S5-42 5spd trans behind a diesel engine? Does anyone know? Has anyone ever measured the stroke of the slave cylinder piston on a ZF? I'm sure I'll figure it all out but if anyone can cut some research time off this problem I'd sure appreciate it. It'd be one thing if I was dealing in a single vehicle application but this is all custom and is taking some trail and error. And the less error the better.

Here's a breakdown of the parts I'm using together:
'91 F-350 ZF S5-42 5spd manual trans with hydraulic slave cylinder to match
'85 E-350 clutch master cylinder for a 4.9 inline six application (same exact part number as master cylinder for the '91 F-350 application the trans came out of)
Clutch pedal and underdash lever that was supposed to come from a '85 E-350 with hydraulic clutch however when I got it the orientation of the lever was such that I think it worked vertically instead of hoizontal and I'm thinking the '84 and older vans had horizontal mechanical linkage completely different from the '85 and newer horizontal hydraulic system.

Another way to solve this for sure would be to know what the length of the lever arm that moves the plunger of the master cylinder is on any diesel with a hydraulic clutch if anyone could be so kind as to get me a good measurement please?
Thanks

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen an 85 e350 manual before . The rod went through the floor of the van vertically was an odd setup forsure.

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
We'll be needing some pics of that setup once done!!!! I want to do the same to my '85 E350.

I already have everything I'd need except for a Diesel tranny to convert a van to standard.

All my parts come from a 1980 E100 ******* wagon van. Owner converted it from a 300-6 4 speed OD to a 351 AOD. So I got the whole driveline. Engine/tranny, linkages, shifter, steering column, pedal assembly (linkage type) and tranny cross member.

I think it would be easier to setup the ZF with a linkage setup than a hydraulic slave as my pedal assembly is for linkages. Not sure yet. I'd be staying 2wd though.

PCausey

Reaction score
I found a salvage yard on car-part.com that lists having a clutch master cylinder for a van in stock so I'll call them in the morning to see if hopefully they still have the whole van with clutch pedal and linkage to go with it. If so I'll be making a 90 mile drive to Waco, TX to get a closer look and maybe go ahead and buy the whole setup for spare parts. And yes IDIDieselJohn I will certainly post pictures.

Last edited:

PCausey

Reaction score
Today I got very lucky and actually found a manual trans 85 Ford van at a local salvage yard so I now have my missing pieces and yes, the linkage does go through the floor and the clutch master cylinder is vertical instead of horizontal. Very interesting setup. I also was looking for the correct clutch throwout bearing release fork and found one but they won't sell separate from the trans but I was able to make a deal to buy the whole trans complete for another $200 which is still cheaper than the core value. It's a 4x2 model so I have no use for it really except spare parts or something to sell later.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
and the clutch master cylinder is vertical instead of horizontal. Very interesting setup.
I take it the clutch master's a different part compared to the truck version? How is the reservoir handled?

BTW, please take a truckload of pictures over the course of this swap...I don't own a van, but I might find myself with another one someday and would love to do something similar ;Sweet

PCausey

Reaction score
I will take lots of pictures tomorrow when I go back to the salvage yard to purchase the whole setup. I'm not sure where the reservoir is located yet but I don't think it's mounted on teh cylinder.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you two are like vultures.
tim-
you are banned from getting into any more projects until the current one is done. btw, you owe me a steak dinner. you know where.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
tim-
you are banned from getting into any more projects until the current one is done. btw, you owe me a steak dinner. you know where.
Believe me, I have no interest in getting into any projects other than the current one any time in the near future. Besides, the van idea is a pipe dream, completely impractical, and will almost certainly never happen...and, if it did, it'd be decades down the road. More to the point, the current project negates whatever remote need I ever would have had for that. I'm just curious to see pictures of the finished project :angel: I'm always curious about "unusual" projects...doesn't mean that I have plans to actively follow in his footsteps. :)

Re: dinner, sounds good to me, as soon as this cold goes away -cuss I think my immune system decided to take the second half of this year off...it's been a long time since I've been this sick this often -cuss

PCausey

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
OK here's the promised pictures. Sorry for the delay but I've been so busy working I haven't been online much. Here's a pic of all the hydraulic parts assembled on the ground for a ZF manual transmission in a 1985 Ford van. The master cylinder mounts vertically under the floor with a remote reservoir. Installation is behind the accelerator pedal. As you can see the shifter is going to come up through the floor of the van right at the doghouse cover so that will take some mods. Also to mount my Spicer 205 to my ZF S5-42 I had to use a dremel tool and notch the back of the trans also pictured above.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well hell... I really wanted to see some pics but was let down once again... Darn it anyway....

PCausey

Reaction score
if you're on FB find me there and add me as a friend, tons of pics there in multiple albums dedicated to building this van. I'll try to figure out how to make em show up here but right now I have warm weather and a busy schedule outside working. I'm sure there'll be a cold rainy day eventually though and I'll stay inside on the computer all day and figure it out. The pics are also posted in teh Ford Bronco Alliance group and the 4x4 van group on FB and are viewable by anyone without adding me.
Phil Causey

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online

No members online now.