Champion aluminum radiator specifications, including comparison to OEM

Reaction score
4-row installed. I updated the first post with pics and specs.

First impressions are very positive. The 4-row is noticeably heavier than the 3-row, which shouldn't come as a huge surprise. The core width difference vs the 3-row is substantial, as evidenced by the pics in the first post. Packaging was about the same as I remembered from the 3-row. They could save a lot of hassle with shipping damage by either thickening up the box or shipping the radiator box in a bigger box, but the damage to mine was very minimal (just a couple of bent fins. No big whoop). Fit and finish seem a bit better than the 3-row. No need to bend the top 'ears' down like some have done. One downside was that the petcock was damaged. The nut would spin, but wouldn't close. Thankfully I caught this before I began pouring coolant in, so I just swapped the petcock from the 3-row.

I had meant to measure the amount of coolant coming out vs going in to get an idea of just how much additional coolant the 4-row holds, but let's just say the job got messy and any measurements would have a huge margin of error.

No real temps to report yet. I've only driven it around the block for now. I don't anticipate a drop in temps running around town, though, since even the 3-row ran cool enough that you could watch the temps fluctuate as the thermostat opened and closed.

Will keep updating,

Mike

PS - Classified ad for the 3-row to go up shortly.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mike what was the cost on that beast?

I am waiting on temp reports and if enough of a difference I will likely get one for the SC.

Thanks for the great kmages and details! Oh ya and for taking the plunge lol

Reaction score
Mike what was the cost on that beast?

Price fluctuates. At one time, I saw it listed as low as $255 shipped on eBay, but generally it runs about $270-$280 shipped. I bought this direct from Champion for $270 plus CA tax. They would have charged me $30-$40 for shipping had I not picked it up via Will Call. I figured buying direct from Champion was best should any warranty issues arise. Just search eBay for MC1165, which is the 4-row PN.

Mike

Last edited:
Reaction score
OK, that's the one I was thinking of. Truck pulls it just fine, but temperatures get hot by the top.

Mike

Socal88

Reaction score
I was having the temp slightly rise in stop and go traffic, so installed a 14" pusher fan from the junk yard and wired it to the AC wow what a difference in the cooling and the AC blows @ 37'. I was looking at the same rad also but I might hold off till the OEM craps out for good!

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To bad we cant get Champion rads to come on board as a sponsorjng member and offer a weeee break to us OBers here.....anyone wanna take a stab at enti ing them????

Hint hint nudge nudge wink wink....Mike :sly :poke

Reaction score
I was having the temp slightly rise in stop and go traffic, so installed a 14" pusher fan from the junk yard and wired it to the AC wow what a difference in the cooling and the AC blows @ 37'. I was looking at the same rad also but I might hold off till the OEM craps out for good!

Definitely need more info on this. Pics? Part numbers?

Mike

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Regarding price, mine was $273.55 delivered (free shipping to PA) The first one was damaged in shipment. They immediately shipped another and the damaged one is still in my garage awaiting return (no UPS label yet).
Part number = MC1165
You must be registered for see images attach

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
Regarding price, mine was $273.55 delivered (free shipping to PA) The first one was damaged in shipment. They immediately shipped another and the damaged one is still in my garage awaiting return (no UPS label yet).
Part number = MC1165
You must be registered for see images attach

Where did you order from?

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Advertised on EBAY.
Seller is listed on label: Tony Martin Best Cooling Performance, in CA. They were nice to deal with, courteous and reacted quickly to the shipping damage. A++

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online