Cetane Booster beneficial in a 7.3 idi?

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Florida tags probably made it look like you were hauling a 'load'. HP would have pulled you over in Tennessee. They catch 'loads' through here all the time.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I used to do the ATF thing but got pulled over and DOT tried to say i had farm / offroad diesel in my tanks years ago

I once accidentally pumped a gallon or two of that farm crap into my F250 before I realized. I never saw one of those pumps before, so it was an honest mistake. I was in a busy diesel only lane that was behind the building. I hung up the nozzle, got my receipt, moved up to the proper pump and finished filling the tank. It's been almost two years and I never got anything in the mail about it, so I guess I was lucky that no one at the gas station working there noticed...or cared. I try to be more mindful about making sure I'm at a #2 pump now.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I once accidentally pumped a gallon or two of that farm crap into my F250 before I realized. I never saw one of those pumps before, so it was an honest mistake. I was in a busy diesel only lane that was behind the building. I hung up the nozzle, got my receipt, moved up to the proper pump and finished filling the tank. It's been almost two years and I never got anything in the mail about it, so I guess I was lucky that no one at the gas station working there noticed...or cared. I try to be more mindful about making sure I'm at a #2 pump now.
I almost did this a few weeks back when I was going to look at the two parts trucks. What stopped me was that the pump kept telling me that I had the wrong type of card for this transaction. It took a couple of times before I saw that I was at a farm diesel pump. I had never used that Coop station before. Once I figured it out, I pulled ahead to the correct pump that now had nobody using it.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I highly doubt anyone at the gas station would care. There are some guys that run it all the time. It's all fun and games until you get caught by DOT......

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I know a guy who used to run the farm diesel in his road trucks until he had some pulled from his tank at a local animal sale barn. I also know that his fine was big enough for him to never try that again.

It can be $10,000 AND prison time. It's tax evasion, basically.

Last edited:

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
This is what happens if you do it intentionally for years, then also stop paying towards what you owe. Not a very smart guy.

You must be registered for see images attach

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is what happens if you do it intentionally for years, then also stop paying towards what you owe. Not a very smart guy.

You must be registered for see images attach

Wow. It's one thing to just fill up with it, but to sign a legal document saying you won't do what you're doing.... Wow.

CBRF3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been told that's what his fine was, but that source isn't very reliable so I really have no idea.
regardless getting a felony on your record upto 10yrs probation ( probation isn't free and you have to pay for it also and out of experience its around $500 a year thats $5000 for 10yrs ) and 2-20yrs in prison and upto $10,000 fine not including court fees + lawyer fees is a good reason not to use transmission fluid as this could get you charged with it regardless or atleast cause you alot of grief and headache.

I often use hydraulic fluid and such as this is clear and doesn't pose the risk transmission fluid does i would say can use used transmission fluid if is degraded till it is clear or slightly brown but when is bright red this would flag you ( would add a red tint to the fuel ) if DOT ever checked your tanks which they do quite often as they do theyre inspections at the weigh stations when you cross state borders and such and especially common when you cross into alaska / canada / mexico.

Last edited:

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
regardless getting a felony on your record upto 10yrs probation ( probation isn't free and you have to pay for it also and out of experience its around $500 a year thats $5000 for 10yrs ) and 2-20yrs in prison and upto $10,000 fine not including court fees + lawyer fees is a good reason not to use transmission fluid as this could get you charged with it regardless or atleast cause you alot of grief and headache.

I often use hydraulic fluid and such as this is clear and doesn't pose the risk transmission fluid does i would say can use used transmission fluid if is degraded till it is clear or slightly brown but when is bright red this would flag you ( would add a red tint to the fuel ) if DOT ever checked your tanks which they do quite often as they do theyre inspections at the weigh stations when you cross state borders and such and especially common when you cross into alaska / canada / mexico.

To add to this, the dye in Diesel is traced by it's chemical composition from what I've heard. That leads me to believe that eventually you would get cleared if you were using ATF because it likely won't match the chemical signature of the dye in the fuel.

That being said, it's still a lot of fees between lawyers and testing. My only point being if you've been running ATF in your fuel I wouldn't lose sleep thinking you're going to jail for it, but if you're concerned certainly stop using it because it can give the wrong impression and cause you unnecessary pain and suffering.

CBRF3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To add to this, the dye in Diesel is traced by it's chemical composition from what I've heard. That leads me to believe that eventually you would get cleared if you were using ATF because it likely won't match the chemical signature of the dye in the fuel.

That being said, it's still a lot of fees between lawyers and testing. My only point being if you've been running ATF in your fuel I wouldn't lose sleep thinking you're going to jail for it, but if you're concerned certainly stop using it because it can give the wrong impression and cause you unnecessary pain and suffering.

Very true but I was only trying to say try to mitigate the risk hydraulic fluid offers almost same thing as transmission fluid or even using power steering fluid would be a good alternative and these could avoid the problem / risk rather than using transmission fluid as it could very well cause you alot of problems / headaches.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very true but I was only trying to say try to mitigate the risk hydraulic fluid offers almost same thing as transmission fluid or even using power steering fluid would be a good alternative and these could avoid the problem / risk rather than using transmission fluid as it could very well cause you alot of problems / headaches.

I would think it better to use 2 stroke oil than hydraulic if the intention is lubrication, but I don't have any evidence to back that claim. Simply that hydraulic fluid is intended to transfer force and has lubrication as a secondary purpose, whereas two stroke oil is soley intended to lubricate.

That said, I completely understand your point.

CBRF3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would think it better to use 2 stroke oil than hydraulic if the intention is lubrication, but I don't have any evidence to back that claim. Simply that hydraulic fluid is intended to transfer force and has lubrication as a secondary purpose, whereas two stroke oil is soley intended to lubricate.

That said, I completely understand your point.

The issue with just 2 stroke oil is lack of detergents hince why if go the 2 stroke oil route i suggest doing my blend i linked and explained before as it gives the best of both worlds and i dialed in over a 15+yr span on many of these engines / trucks and around 1 million miles or more.

https://www.oilburners.net/posts/1062558/ is the blend i dialed in and it explains why step by step and what to avoid and why.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7