CDR vs RDT

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The early valley pan gaskets were made with a baffle on the underside to deflect oil and only enable crankcase depression thru the CDR. If a turbo has been added without replacing the valley pan and the turbo oil is returned there, the oil cannot drain fast enough, holes had to be punched in the baffle to correct this. When factory turbo's were added, the valley pan has holes in the baffle for drainage, all later valley pans have the holes.

True, they do have two small holes there. But, I make the hole larger and add several more. I really want to make sure there isn't excess pressure on the turbo seals.LOL
You must be registered for see images

Heath

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heath, that's impressive and how do you go about getting those holes so nice in sheet metal anyway?...

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya man those holes are better than mine i just used a punch and made 3 but i have a new valley pan in my parts bin imma do like yours would you share how you made those nice holes?

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Transfer punch was use to get a small bit started without it wanting to drift. Drill the hole with a small bit (can't recall the size now, sorry). I used a step bit to make them larger. 3/8 is what they are IIRC. Of course get the shavings out and clean up any rough edges with a round file.

Heath

Last edited:

Thefarmboy21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't really understand how the road draft tube works, just from negative air pressure? Wouldnt it make more sense to put it into the exhaust like an EVAC system on a drag car? And while I'm on the subject, why couldnt you just run and evac system into the exhaust and put breathers inthe valve covers like a V8 gasser? And maybe plug off the old port?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All of the valley pans I get from Ford, do not have extra holes, but rather the baffle has no "ends" so they are not needed. A simple test to see if they are required can be performed. Just pour a quart of 5w-20 into the CDR hole as fast as you can before you do an oil change. If it takes it without overflowing, your good. There is no way your turbo is goign to drain that much oil in that quick!

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The stock oil pump puts out 17 gallons/minute.:D Obviously, not all of that volume goes through the turbo, but it gets much more oil than you'd think. Am I being paranoid about it???....... Sure :angel: but it's a quick, easy mod that has zero downside/risk.LOL

Heath

Silver Burner

Burnin' Oil&Rubber
Reaction score
OK boys, I am completely in the dark about this here. I have that big hose on my Banks setup but I have never messed with the CDR yet or done this RDT mod. What should I be doing here or should I just leave well enough alone?

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the CDR per the Banks setup on my F250. I have no problem with it except it keeps my intake tract oily all the time. It's not something that causes any problem for me with that truck. On the F350 crew cab, I just put an intercooler on it with a Banks Sidewinder as well. I however, don't want all that oil vapor fouling up my IC piping and filling my IC with oil. So, I ditched the CDR and I'm running a RDT on that truck. I said all that to say this...... your fine running the CDR like you have it now, or if you really don't want an oily intake, a RDT is fine as well. Personal preference is really what it boils down to.

Heath

Pino2234

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heath, can you post up the modified valley pan again? The link is gone now.

I don't understand where these baffle holes are if the turbo isn't draining fast enough.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
The drain issue comes more so when the engine is cold and not up to operating temperature yet. Till that oil warms up and becomes more viscus, it'll bottle neck itself till it gets warm enough to flow since it's more or less a gravity based return.