CDR Mystery Solved

mohavewolfpup

Diesel Wolf Puppy
Reaction score
vegas39 swung by to look at my turbo setup for his truck one day, so I asked him about the CDR. on my truck, it's run off the turbo mount the air cleaner sits on via a rubber hose to the oil fill point. It's got a copper? elbow the hose slides onto and that's that the "CDR" is this a good idea? I hear about runaways, am I at high risk, or it doesn't matter as much?. There is no CDR. it basically vents into the intake

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Not sure I'm understanding.
Can you get pics?

The way you describe, sounds like the factory location for a N/A setup, but a little different.

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

mohavewolfpup

Diesel Wolf Puppy
Reaction score
Not sure I'm understanding.
Can you get pics?

The way you describe, sounds like the factory location for a N/A setup, but a little different.

Here it is. I don't see any brackets or anything related for the CDR on my valve cover(s) either. Nor is a "can" on the back of the engine (turbo is in the way)

You must be registered for see images

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Looks like the oil fill cap is the can.
What does the cap look like on the inside?

Which all in all, how it's hooked up, I don't know that you'd really need the CDR can itself.
I don't think a whole lot of oil is thrown around right there.
But the gears are there, so someone correct me?

mohavewolfpup

Diesel Wolf Puppy
Reaction score
Looks like the oil fill cap is the can.
What does the cap look like on the inside?

Which all in all, how it's hooked up, I don't know that you'd really need the CDR can itself.
I don't think a whole lot of oil is thrown around right there.
But the gears are there, so someone correct me?

I do have blow by. It is oily, not seeing any oil thrown around inside

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Probably mainly just the oil vapors from combustion.
Can't say that I've ever seen a clean CDR/PCV/CCV/RDT.
The one one my PSD is a little weird, but my turbo and "intake" are fairly clean.

As long as you don't have oil puddling in your intake, should be fine.

mohavewolfpup

Diesel Wolf Puppy
Reaction score
Haven't noticed any. Just the usual grime/dirt from 29 years of service. still haven't figured out how to properly pressure wash it yet

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
If you have access to a heated pressure washer aka steam cleaner, you can usually crank the pressure down.
If you do use one, be careful around wires/injector caps/plastic/rubber.

I've had good luck with purple power and just a spray nozzle on a garden hose, but we have pretty good water pressure here.
Don't dilute the purple power.
I use a this dish brush.
You must be registered for see images attach

It has pretty hard bristles.

I soak with PP, scrub, soak, scrub, then spray it off, and repeat.

If you don't have access to a hose, you could use a car wash. Just let the engine cool a little first.

mohavewolfpup

Diesel Wolf Puppy
Reaction score
I have hose/non heated pressure washer access. what about the valley pan? Is that true it drains to the oil pan if water gets in it? (what does it do in the rain exactly if it is as dire as I read?)

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Actually at the back of the valley pan, there's a hollow bolt that drains out through the back of the block.
It's probably clogged, and will be a pain to get to with the turbo in the way, but should be able to clean it out with a screwdriver.

If the turbo drain grommet is bad, water could get in. But you should be able to look at it and tell.

mohavewolfpup

Diesel Wolf Puppy
Reaction score
I'll probably be avoiding that area. most of the crud on my engine is on the sides and front/back portion of the block. Dream would be to just pull the engine entirely and clean it that way! Long ways down the road though

Earlier I got help to pull the shell off. Still keeping it for future use (hauling stuff for my families business) but it looks better without the shell imho

ToughOldFord

The Cold Glow-Plug
Reaction score
That's not a CDR on the oil fill, that's a oil filler cap/crankcase breather of a Ford gasser.
It looks to me whoever installed that turbo didn't want to or couldn't install the CDR in the valve cover per instruction so he took a short cut.
If it was me I'd plumb in a CDR. The CDR is to prevent engine runaway. If the engine takes off using the crankcase oil as fuel the CDR shuts off the supply.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The way that is plumbed you could **theoretically* have a problem if the inlet ever got plugged, or the air filter was severely clogged. The CDR valve as designed functions as an isolation valve to close off the crankcase from the intake if there is a significant vacuum in the intake. The major concern is that in theory an engine with high intake vacuum (from the inlet hose being clogged for example) could suck enough oil vapors out of the crankcase to cause a runaway. It's also likely that a restricted air filter or inlet could cause high oil consumption.

My advice is to leave the CDR valve in place for any system connecting into the intake. Don't need it for an RDT though.

I'd also be concerned that the size of that hose / cap is too small. The stock system is about a 1" line, and fairly short, so it can handle a high volume without restriction. Diesel engines produce a fair bit more blowby than a gasser especially when worn due to the higher cylinder system, so your crankcase vent system has to handle more volume of gasses. A restriction here would cause high crankcase pressure which in turn tends to blow seals or force oil out of the seals.