CDR Mods

jdb

Reaction score
Recently bought an 83 F250 with a 6.9 litre diesel. Engine was smoking a bit, so I replaced valve stem oil seals and shields (as discussed in another thread).

I understand that the CDR that sits behind the air intake can also cause exhaust smoke problems. So I took it off, found it had oil and sludge in it, and cleaned it. By the way, a bicycle chain oil cleaner works great for this - not harsh, cleaned up with water, then air dried with by blowing out with an air compressor.

But I see that the previous owner has made a modification to the CDR valve. Instead of the pipe connecting down to the block, he has run a hose to the oil filler stem.

Any advice on why he might have done this, what gain there would be, and whether I should undo it or make some other mod?

See attached photo.
You must be registered for see images attach

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Recently bought an 83 F250 with a 6.9 litre diesel. Engine was smoking a bit, so I replaced valve stem oil seals and shields (as discussed in another thread).

I understand that the CDR that sits behind the air intake can also cause exhaust smoke problems. So I took it off, found it had oil and sludge in it, and cleaned it. By the way, a bicycle chain oil cleaner works great for this - not harsh, cleaned up with water, then air dried with by blowing out with an air compressor.

But I see that the previous owner has made a modification to the CDR valve. Instead of the pipe connecting down to the block, he has run a hose to the oil filler stem.

Any advice on why he might have done this, what gain there would be, and whether I should undo it or make some other mod?

See attached photo.

This is new....never seen something like this....

Cdr should go down into back of valley and up against the intake manifold.

How does that normally sit...something seems whaco....to me...

jdb

Reaction score
I've just taken the CDR off to clean it ... it was attached to the back of the intake ... in the photo, I have left it loose just to show the hose connection that runs from the base of the CDR (where it would have originally gone into the valley of the engine) to the oil filler stem.

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is the hole in the valley pan plugged? It would be simpler to return to stock installation. Is the pipe off the oil filler PVC? You would need to cap that off if returned to stock. Banks turbos have an adapter that routes blowby like that from the oil fill/ gear cover, then to the CDR mounted to the intake between the filter and turbo. I suppose it works like it is but seems more complex than it needs to be.
I notice you are missing line clamps on your injection lines. Without them the lines eventually crack due to vibration.

jdb

Reaction score
Is the hole in the valley pan plugged? It would be simpler to return to stock installation. Is the pipe off the oil filler PVC? You would need to cap that off if returned to stock. Banks turbos have an adapter that routes blowby like that from the oil fill/ gear cover, then to the CDR mounted to the intake between the filter and turbo. I suppose it works like it is but seems more complex than it needs to be.
I notice you are missing line clamps on your injection lines. Without them the lines eventually crack due to vibration.

Yes, the hole in the valley pan is plugged. The pipe appears, to my untrained eye, to be rad hose (rubber with embedded threads).

Thanks for the reminder to put the clamps back on the injection lines - I took them off when I was getting at the glow plugs last weekend.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That sounds freakishly complex and for no valid reason...not sure how oil vapour could or would drain into crankcase....seems very bizzare.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Either way, if that's the way it was connected when you got it, then it's completely wrong. The bottom port on the valve is the inlet and the port in the center between the bolt tabs is the outlet.

1995voyagerES

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Isn't that CDR completely useless installed how it is?
I mean how should it vent compression gasses if both the inlet and outlet are connected to the crankcase ???
The outlet should be connected to the air intake - positive gases from the crankcase can then be sucked into the intake and get burned.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yet another not requested comment from the peanut gallery...
Them bolts on top of the intake screen make me nervous!

Where did this cdr attatch last, back of intake how?
The cdr is usually doused in oil but if it runs downhill into the oil fill tower it could work .
Do fill in your sig line with any and ALL info on the trucks stats please.
Helps us answer your questions.
Brb

Last edited:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone else notice engine is silver....grey paint under peeling paint on vc ...something is amiss here.

He said cdr bolts to back of intake so its sorta 1/2 way correct...sorta....its drawing from fill tube into intake based on his description...bolts on screen likely for cdr to intake.

jdb

Reaction score
Yes, CDR was attached as per normal to the back of the intake (with the two nervous looking bolts sitting on the intake screen) :oops:

I thought the way it worked was that the venturi effect of the intake sucked the oil mist out of the crankcase (or in this case, the oil fill tower) through the CDR. Shows how much I know.

Also don't know how to edit my sig line :confused:

MTKirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score

See attached photo.

I would definitely get rid of that mess & go back to stock. I'd suggest a new valley pan cover/intake manifold gasket (I suspect the internal baffles are clogged on yours & that maybe why the PO modded the set up), a new tube from the valley pan to cdr, and a new grommet from cdr to intake. Maybe even a new cdr if yours does not function correctly.

Plug that mess coming off the oil filler tube. It looks like copper sweat plumbing fittings brazed on to a hole in the filler tube, cut or melt off the elbow and sweat on a new cap.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go to your user cp( control pannel)
Look around
Edit x ( sig)
Fil in edit x
Save x. ;Sweet

jdb

Reaction score
Found it, under "Settings". I couldn't find it before because I was looking under "My Profile"

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online