CDR info

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have factual data that supports that somewhere?

I knew somebody was going to call me on that one. Now I'll have to find the Ford document that stated that. Might take me a while.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
Robert, This Auto-Rx stuff....is it some of that narley smelly type stuff like Laquor thinner, MEK, acetone, smelly kind of things that 'ya shouldn't smoke within 1000' and be wearing a triple plated ironclad old style diving suit inside a Zoot-suit when 'ya twist the lid off??? The kind of mixture that cuts & cleans really fast & harsh?:D :D Or is it supposed to clean slow & gentle?
I was kinda embellishing the descriptions a little, but am curious.

I've used a couple of qt ATF in my 7.3 a few times....2-3-400mi or so before oil change to sorta detergent wash things out. But was really never sure if I was being effective. In theory, if a good grade of hi-detergent diesel oil is used, this should help keep crud & sludge buildup out, but.......

Years ago in older engines -'60 & '70's we used to run some kerosene or diesel for few mi, then drop oil & filters. I'm not really that brave on mt 7.3 though.

Anyway, just wondering.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Robert, This Auto-Rx stuff....is it some of that narley smelly type stuff like Laquor thinner, MEK, acetone, smelly kind of things that 'ya shouldn't smoke within 1000' and be wearing a triple plated ironclad old style diving suit inside a Zoot-suit when 'ya twist the lid off??? ...

I don't think the EPA lets anybody make anything that works that good anymore. LOL :rolleyes:

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
I don't think the EPA lets anybody make anything that works that good anymore. LOL :rolleyes:
Wheeeewww, thanks bunches Mel!! Now I can sleep nites....without wett'in the bed!:rotflmao :rotflmao

On second thought though, If it's outlawed, then it's probably "Best-In-The-West 'N Fixes-The-Rest!"
"That's all I have to say about that"

Last edited:

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Robert, This Auto-Rx stuff....is it some of that narley smelly type stuff like Laquor thinner, MEK, acetone, smelly kind of things that 'ya shouldn't smoke within 1000' and be wearing a triple plated ironclad old style diving suit inside a Zoot-suit when 'ya twist the lid off??? The kind of mixture that cuts & cleans really fast & harsh?:D :D Or is it supposed to clean slow & gentle?
I was kinda embellishing the descriptions a little, but am curious.

I've used a couple of qt ATF in my 7.3 a few times....2-3-400mi or so before oil change to sorta detergent wash things out. But was really never sure if I was being effective. In theory, if a good grade of hi-detergent diesel oil is used, this should help keep crud & sludge buildup out, but.......

Years ago in older engines -'60 & '70's we used to run some kerosene or diesel for few mi, then drop oil & filters. I'm not really that brave on mt 7.3 though.

Anyway, just wondering.

I had a very long conversation over the phone with the inventor of the stuff before i ever used it the first time . You'd have a hard time finding anything in that stuff that will hurt you. That was one of the reasons he came up with the stuff, after finding that he, and most of his friends in the same field had the same cancer. the stuff was originally invented to clean out the gearboxes on commercial newspaper printing presses ( those big two block long machines with gearboxes upon gearboxes that cost a few gazillion dollars, and a few gazillion more an hour when they're down ), then the pres mechanics started using it in their cars and the rest is history.

It doesn't even smell like a chemical. And , while the whole process doesn't make much logical sense by old knowledge standards, you really don't start noticing the majority of the performance changes until the rinsing phase , and well into the second treatment on some really bad leakers.

I've never seen any large chunks come out the drain plug with the auto rx ( unlike some of the solvent cleaners ) About 12 years ago I had one engine where a solvant cleaner had been used and it knocked a chunk loose and clogged a freshly installed hydralic lifter on a SBC in a van. Big job to take care of that little pesky chunk.

I regularly shoot myself in the foot with that stuff. When people come in with oil eaters , leakers and poor compression, I recommend that stuff first before selling a big expensive seal job or what have you, and it almost always does the trick.

In theory a good detergent oil should prevent sludge and sticking, but in reality, it's a fact of life with diesels. I had one diesel car I had to tear down that had 60,000 miles on a rebuild with all mobile 1 since installed, and spent hours with a ring grove cleaner getting the pistons ready to go back in, the old oil rings were jammed up and most of the compression rings showed signs that they had not been floating well ( worn ******* one side ), on an identical engine that had been poorly maintained for over 250k miles, but had run two treatments of Auto RX, I pulled the pistons out and cleaned them up with a spray can of brake parts cleaner

Needless to say, I'm a big fan of running that stuff on occasion in any diesel to keep things cleaned out

I remember from WAY back in mechanic school, that the ATF was a pretty good trick for cleaning out an engine before a rebuild, but not advised for an engine remaining in service, something about not enough film strength and very rapid wear with atf in there.

------Robert

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I knew somebody was going to call me on that one. Now I'll have to find the Ford document that stated that. Might take me a while.

Don't sweat it. It is very likely Ford developed some scheme and forgot to tell the rest of the world about it. I was told by a reputable machinist that this was a practice in 7.3 IDI's, but could not find it there either.

That being said, I have worked on many Ford engines, IH engines, and even my beloved Chevy engine. I can tell you that NO piece of paper will make me believe that Ford machined in an extra thousandths or two. If they hit +/- .002 or .003, it was good enough! I have mic'ed several lower bores where the piston doesn't wear the cylinder and easily seen that much clearance difference from bore to bore. If you have ever seen a hone, you would know what I am talking about as well. We ran a pre-set dial bore gauge in the bore, then wet hone until within spec. Spec was never less than about .004 or difference (+/- .002 of perfect) and there are few if any machines (yes, even the ones used by Ford - my father qc'd for Ford for about 35 years through an alternate vendor) that will get it any closer. So, Ford can say what they want. Without seeing a string of 100 or so motors that showed perfect on the front 6 and oversize on the back two, I won't belive it! :D I have seen the engine machinist side of things for many years, it is accurate, but not .001 accurate. There are allowances in any machine work spec.

dieselviznince

Escanaba MICHIGAN
Reaction score
Well hi every one got my old truck runnin last night and the timming is seemin pretty good to but my pump is still toast:puke: , anyone got one for a decent price, or how much for a moose pump. my truck was just smoking :smoke: with about 33% used engine oil in the fuel from my moms car. And my truck did not want to idle, any ideas.:hail

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online