cdr cleaning

pedro_8149

7.3L Remote Turbo
Reaction score
i was reading on here somehwere a while ago i think it was on here anyways, some one mentioned to clean your cdr every so often? is this true, and will this help or do anything at all.....

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
just soak it with gas dont use compressed air. its good to do it every oil change.

Willie Two

Retired Firefighter
Reaction score
All 6.9L and 7.3L diesel engines are equipped with a CDR (Crankcase Depression Regulator) valve. Even the new 7.3L Power Stroke is also equipped with the same valve. The CDR valve is one of the leading causes of head gasket failure in these engines. The CDR valve is responsible for controlling the pressure/vacuum in the engine crankcase, and seperating the oil mist from the air and returning the oil to the crankcase. The CDR valve should be serviced every second oil change or when signs listed below are seen.

When the CDR valve is not properly serviced, engine oil enters the air intake and is drawn into the engine. The diesel engine will burn this oil as fuel, however, it is heavier and thicker than diesel fuel and, having greater BTU output, causes excessive heat in the cylinder. Due to the intake manifold design, most of the oil will migrate to #7 and #8 cylinders; the last two cylinders in the rear by the firewall. The increased temperature here will cause the cylinder head to lift off the gasket and allow water or oil to leak out the back of the cylinder head where it meets the block.

To check your CDR valve, remove the air cleaner hold down bolt and inspect it. If the bolt is covered with engine oil mist, it's time to service your CDR valve! Ford calls this item a "Adapter assembly for Crankcase Ventilation" Part number E3TZ-6A665-A or IH part #1805319C1

To service the CDR wash with a solvent, allow to dry, do not use compressed air to dry. There is a small hole in the CDR back cover, ensure it is clean and open. If black chunks of rubber are visible in the intake, on the screen then the rubber membrane has disintegrated, replace the CDR.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I don't even try to save the CDR's on the few trucks I run them on. When they go bad I just replace them. Too much of a chance of destroying the thin rubber diaphragm inside the valve with chemicals. It might clean up and work good at first but my experience is not for long. The chemical reaction with the diaphragm makes it hard and brittle eventually it completely lets go. This is my .02.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't even try to save the CDR's on the few trucks I run them on. When they go bad I just replace them. Too much of a chance of destroying the thin rubber diaphragm inside the valve with chemicals. It might clean up and work good at first but my experience is not for long. The chemical reaction with the diaphragm makes it hard and brittle eventually it completely lets go. This is my .02.
+1
years ago we dissected a cdr to find when Sean is talking about. it is $50 to buy a brand new one. the ACdelco p/n is in the parts bin. don't be a cheapass, just go get a new one every 50k mi.
here's the pics......

Attachments

• CDR01.jpg
    CDR01.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 46
  • CDR03.jpg
    CDR03.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 42

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
when you buy a new one do you still need to clean it every oil change?
you can either get the cdr at the dealer or at a ACDelco supplier. there is a ACDelco part number on the backside of the CDR. I have come to the conclusion that it is a really bad idea to put any solvent through the CDR in a attempt to clean it. run it for 50k miles and change it out.

fury9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can either get the cdr at the dealer or at a ACDelco supplier. there is a ACDelco part number on the backside of the CDR. I have come to the conclusion that it is a really bad idea to put any solvent through the CDR in a attempt to clean it. run it for 50k miles and change it out.

looks like I'll be needin one of them then, cleaned with gas and don't know if the thing even works. Thanks for the info

gatorman21218

Reaction score
great ill order one asap since lord knows how long its been. When i drove home this week i noticed during the trip (~2600 rpm for 12 hours) that I burned quite a bit of oil so i'm guessing that my cdr is bad and its sucking oil at high rpms. Am i right to assume this or am i completely off base?

gatorman21218

Reaction score
hey calvin do you have that ac delco part number handy? i would go out and get it but my truck is covered by a foot of snow. If not dont worry about it ill go look in the morning