Catipiller engine

YEOLDSMOKEY

Reaction score
u guys think the cat that fits in the 750 or any cat engine would fit in our engine bays and trannys white out major fabrication

Last edited:

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
I think you can fit anything in there that you really want in there. Probably won't be easy, but hey what is?

Seriously, grab your tape measure and just start measuring things, eventually you'll find a caterpillar or whatever which will sort of fit.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea. I agree. The 3208 is a good choice. If I got the "Take a Cummins and call me in the morning" bug up my but, I think I would take the yellow pill instead.

Guntherx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agnem said:
Yea. I agree. The 3208 is a good choice. If I got the "Take a Cummins and call me in the morning" bug up my but, I think I would take the yellow pill instead.

Why CAT over Cummins? Both are good OTR engines having driven both. Even though I predominately drove CAT's, our experience Cummins were more trouble free. As a matter of fact, we had one 60 series Detroit that went over 1M without an overhaul. The CAT's seemed to need attention every 300K.

pafixitman

Reaction score
Guntherx said:
Why CAT over Cummins?

I think it is principle for Mel. He would probably take a Perkins over the Cummins also! LOL Apextrans will tell you that Cat yellow is gold. I have heard what some of his repairs cost. :eek:

pafixitman

Reaction score
Guntherx said:
BTW, what does the senior member under your handle mean? AGE :rotflmao

I'll see 40 in a few months, losing my job in a few weeks and know where you live :backoff so watch it! :draw :rotflmao

Actually, I have no clue. Number of posts?

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
pafixitman said:
I think it is principle for Mel. He would probably take a Perkins over the Cummins also! LOL Apextrans will tell you that Cat yellow is gold. I have heard what some of his repairs cost. :eek:

I have no experience with the little CAT's but I can assure you if a OTR CAT farts crooked, it will cost you a fortune. I put $6000.00 into my Pete last month on crap that was just out of warrenty. Certain components crap out as soon as the coverage is up.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard lots of good things about the 3208 CAT especially in the marine diesel market. I heard of one with 20,000 hours on it, equivalent with about a million miles. Remember it is a parent bore, so you will have to dry sleeve or bore over just like a 6.9 or 7.3 or 6BT.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I had a single axle dump with a 3208, next to no major problems in about 150,000 which I know is not much when compared to OTR, but it was loaded for at least 50% of those miles! I think it would be a cool implant! :Sly

jauguston

Retired
Reaction score
As others have said you can get in there but it is not a practical swap. The 3208-1160 is too heavy to be supported safely by the front end under even a 350.

Jim

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
heck,if you want something totally twisted(and cheap!) but NOT a powerhouse then get a LD465 outta a deuce and a half.Burn anything,Parts are cheap.No electrical system needed!Period!If you could kick start it you could drive it cross country with no batteries or Generator/Alternator.I wonder what kinda power you could get outta one of these things after the really crappy military spec stuff was fixed......Hee hee hee......KEN!YOU UP TO A TOTALLY WILD BUILD UP!