catalytic converter on a 86 diesel?

1986IDI6.9L

Reaction score
I went to get my trucks inspection today here in Texas and was told that my truck needed a cat-con, and I got into it with the guy and told him its a f###### diesel and doesnt need one but am I rite or wrong ?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
They didnt come factory, so you wont need it. Just find someplace else to go. Heck I found a place that passed me with no muffler LOL

Dave Barbieri

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're right. It's like Justin said, you're only responsible for the emissions equipment that came stock. My truck never had a cat, so it's never an issue.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
It also helps if you find a station that has people who know what they are talking about. I use to go to this little inspection station in a town of 200, one stop sign. All the old timers would sit on its front porch and talk about life. Pull up there, one of them would come down, talk about your rig, run it through the ringer, and pass it.

mobilemech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cats didnt come on IDI's, they didn't come out till 99 and newer powerstrokes, and its also that year that most states require smog for because of the ecm on the engine.

mobilemech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're right , kind of. It was called a soot collecter, but it did not have the honeycomb construction inside and it had a plug on it so you could clean it

david_lee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They didnt come factory, so you wont need it. Just find someplace else to go. Heck I found a place that passed me with no muffler LOL

According to the law in Texas, there is no need to have a muffler after the turbo on a diesel. This is quoted straight from the Texas Transportation Code, Chapter 541, Sec. 541.203 for equipment: " (3) "Muffler" means a device that reduces noise using:(A) a mechanical design, including a series of chambers or baffle plates, to receive exhaust gas from an internal combustion engine; or(B) turbine wheels to receive exhaust gas from a diesel engine. "

This is one of the many reasons I love living in Texas. ;Sweet

EDIT: You can look up the Texas Constitution and Codes here: http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/ and the Code I quoted is here: http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/TN/htm/TN.541.htm#541.203

FordGuy100

Reaction score
No state inspections in Oregon so I didn't have to deal with this bologna. I do agree the law is written that way, the problem is most of the techs are idiots and want to see a muffler on everything.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
State inspection stattiona are just another example of goverment waste at work. Cali has it the worst by far... Damn treehuggers...