Cat 3126 tech's

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are there any Cat mechanics that have experience with this engine? I am wondering if there are any fasteners that should be replaced at rebuild. The oil sending unit removed itself and it siezed the crank, didnt spin any bearings but 2 rods are ugly.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Doesn't BigRigTech work on the big kittys? I remember him talking in the last few days about a set of Cat test equiptment he bought for the HEUI injection on the cats.......

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
before you do anything drastic these are dry sleeved engines you better check you cyl walls first and looking for scoring and what ever else you might just be better off to get a reman from cat these engines are garbage ive worked on a couple of these pieces of ****

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
on an other note how many times has the head been off
id replace the head bolts depending on how many torques the bolts have seen

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have done tons of diesels, never one of these. The turbo is junk but I have found parts, the 1 and 6 pistons are scored but not from the oiling issue ,it is old damage and the bearings are new damage. the cylinders are ok, I am going to hone and ring them. Head bolts were new last time the head was replaced, I am guessing this cause none are painted. Some IDIOT pressure washed the arrangement number off the tag.
this a cheap and dirty job for a rock crusher because of this fine economy he cant afford a reman.
Thanks and if you think of more sensitive areas let me know.
Russ

cm1hedge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ring and hone #1 & #6. new rods and mains. Fine emery cloth on journals, if needed. How are the cam bearings? Only do one main bearing at a time, or you will be doing seals(but you knew that):rolleyes:. Slap it back together and pray for the best. CAT has updated the oil line from the HEUI pump to the head. If it is steel, you are good; if rubber hose, take the time and effort and replace with the retrofit kit.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hedge ,we had to do a complete dissassembly, I am putting in new cam bearings, this engine didnt get good service before this company got it. The turbo bushings actually had dirt in the oil holes!! :mad:
The cam brgs oil from the top so with any wear it creates a big oil leak. It is a non electric engine but that injector rack control tube is worse than any detroit diesel, what a nightmare, who thought that up!!!:dunno I will post some pics of the carnage but the crank is already getting turned so it wont be in pics
Thanks for all the pointers, keep em coming;Sweet;Sweet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online

No members online now.