Carpet/rubber floor

wwwabbit

Mmmmm Diesel
Reaction score
Has anyone ever removed the carpet or rubber floor stuff in their trucks? If so, what did you replace it with? If you don't have the insulation does the noise cause much of a problem?
I just pulled mine out of the truck yesterday to clean it and I don't think it's cleanable... plus I found out where the nasty smell was coming from:puke:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wwwabbit said:
Has anyone ever removed the carpet or rubber floor stuff in their trucks? If so, what did you replace it with? If you don't have the insulation does the noise cause much of a problem?
I just pulled mine out of the truck yesterday to clean it and I don't think it's cleanable... plus I found out where the nasty smell was coming from:puke:
JC whitney has preformed kits for a reasonable price. google for their website and look it up. the mouldings of all the bumps and holes is pretty dead-on. Spend the money and put back in carpeting, your years and your passengers will love you. :D

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
I've partially removed my rubber floor to install sound deadening material one side at a time but have not removed it completely. IMO, rubber flooring is better than carpeting because it can be hosed out. Never a lint, dog hair or spilled coffee problem.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hheynow said:
IMO, rubber flooring is better than carpeting because it can be hosed out. Never a lint, dog hair or spilled coffee problem.
Yeah, but if you have cloth seats and a carpet steam-cleaner, then it only takes one tool to clean the interior of your truck (other than the plastic moulding). :)

I used to like the utilitarian no-options-selected setup, but I guess creature comforts have begun to spoil me ;)...

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
The Warden said:
Yeah, but if you have cloth seats and a carpet steam-cleaner, then it only takes one tool to clean the interior of your truck (other than the plastic moulding). :)

I used to like the utilitarian no-options-selected setup, but I guess creature comforts have begun to spoil me ;)...

Don't get me wrong...I like creature comforts too, but in my case only the rubber flooring will do. I live on a ranch and during the rainy season I track in so much mud that carpeting would get ruined in one season.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Warden said:
Ah, that makes sense...us city-slickers don't need to worry about mud too much ;)

Which would account for why I like rubber. LOL

troutwest66

Ricer-Roni The IDI Treat
Reaction score
I like the carpeting and I put some rubber mats in that have the raised edges to trap water and they work pretty well. I fly fish all the time and when we travel to different holes on the river those felt-soled boots hold a bunch of water. I just pull the mat out and dump the water and I'm good to go. There are some nice molded mats to fit a specific application but I just got mine at Wally World when I got my truck almost three years ago.

jvencius

Reaction score
I've always thought it would be a nice idea (if I ever get the time to do the prep work) to pull out my seats/carpet/interior trim and have the whole interior up to maybe 1/2 the cab height Rhino-lined. If I put down Dynamat underneath I figure that would help on sound dampening and spray-on bedliner is just as easy to clean as rubber flooring. For sure it would be pricey, but what isn't?

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hheynow said:
I've partially removed my rubber floor to install sound deadening material one side at a time but have not removed it completely. IMO, rubber flooring is better than carpeting because it can be hosed out. Never a lint, dog hair or spilled coffee problem.

Hosing out rubber flooring is a bad idea. Water gets under it and rusts out your floorboard.

I am pro rubber flooring, though. Dealing with horses, I often wish I had no carpet in my truck.

OF COURSE, the idea of putting light tan or maybe black carpet in my old truck is kinda nice--I WANT THAT NEW TRUCK SMELL!! :)

Mike

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
towcat said:
mel-
I really don't think you should be talking about your fetishes that happen behind closed doors in OBS :eek: :D LOL

:rotflmao

Calvin, somehow I just knew I could count on you to take it that way! LOL

Pacific

Gravel Rat
Reaction score
Here on the West Coast the floors of our trucks rust out from the insulation pad holding water against the sheet metal and it usually rusts the floor out.

I have rubber floor in my truck with rubber mats I really don't think carpet is good for a work truck. I use floor mats because they do catch alot of the dirt plus I have a second layer for my right heal to wear a hole through. I know the original rubber floor is worn to the sheet metal from the the heal of workboots rubbing.

When you yank out the old carpet try get the sheet metal dry as possible then sand the rust to white metal then coat the floor with some kind of coating. I thought about that roll on bedliner crap you get from Cambodian tire.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online