can't time 6.9 with light. slipped balancer?

BrandonBerkosky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I time my truck to 8.5-9° whether by pulse adapter or actual ford tool the engine is not happy. I decided to time it by feel. (Adjust.drive. adjust. Drive. Etc...) I can get it running pretty strong. Check with the light it happens to end up around 5° . Only thing I can think of is that the outer ring on the balancer slipped.
6.9 ATS factory turb studded bull moose Bb injectors. My 6.9 n/a rollback with god knows how many miles has more power. Any thoughts?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
What probe location are you using on the dampner tab. The tall skinny location is the magnetic probe place we use and the short fat post is the zero degrees location. Hope that helps.

BrandonBerkosky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Out of the four idi's me and Jon have right now this is the most problematic one. Its the one I give the most love and it screws me all the time

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Do this. Bring the engine to top dead center. Thats using the short fat probe location on the timing tab. Now open up the small cover on the front of the injection pump gear housing. Now make sure one of the three bolts that holds the pump to the gear in facing exactly straight down. If its not then someone before you probably removed the gear cover with the pump and gear as one piece and the gear timing is now off by a tooth or two.

BrandonBerkosky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I disassembled and reassembled the engine myself. So its possible that I screwed it up but I am pretty sure its good. I remember stressing about it. I'll check that out later. I did mark the timing gears so Ide be able to put the pump back on without pulling the front cover.